I Forge Iron

Blu Max 155 - Questions, Alternatives, Reccomendations?

I'm very interested in getting a Blu Max 155. They seem like an incredible machine and people seem to really value them. But before I get too enamored are there any other new power hammers that are good competitors at the $8,000 range? Does anyone have one and have any pro's or con's they could briefly explain?

Thanks,
Av

Greetings from northern Wisconsin.

Have you looked at  KZ 100 or 150  ?   There are some good films on U tube of this air hammer .  I bought one a few years ago.   Fantastic improvement over the LG 50 I was using.   With my skill level I need all the help I can get from my tools .  My job got easier.

I was ready to buy a Blue hammer when I found out the KZ is built over in Minnesota Ken (the guy who builds em )   had me over to run it like 3 times to be sure I wanted it , An all around good guy.   There is a guy in Bemidji Mn who has used one for years building hammers for a living.  All good reveiws. 

I will be running mine for a hour or so today cold smashing drawer handles .  

Woodrow

The older Blu's were so-so, suppoedly they have improved the  hose sizes (and other details) to improve things.   I've run power hammers professionall for architectural metalwork, up to 200#.  Mostly antique mechanicals, but some modern and antique utility and self-contained as well, and I was lukewarm on the Blu that I ran.  It was ok, and any hammer is better than no hammer, but for the way I work there are better hammers out there.  YMMV.  Also, do some googling about the design flaw in the quick change sow block.  Don't know if they have adressed that issue yet but if not they should.  

• 2 months later...

I replaced an Anyang 88 hammer with the Blu 155 about 2 years ago (replacement had nothing to do with the Anyang, all related to my electric company).  Both are good hammers with a few differences.  My Anyang was new in 2012 so there may be modifications to later models.  

Single strike:  Both will allow a single strike (or strike and hold) but the Anyang was difficult for me to put in single strike (SSM) mode quickly.  The Blu has a switch on the side you can simply press down to put it in single strike mode, then press the foot pedal.  I rarely use SSM but for one project it really saved the day.  I can't get on and off the foot treadle quickly enough to prevent a double strike and I needed to NOT have the work be hit twice if it were not exactly in the same location on the hammer die (top tooling bolted to bottom die).  I can let the ram down slowly on the Blu, or stomp the pedal and it will hit very hard and hold.  Flip the switch up, depress the pedal and you are back to normal operation.

My only gripe about the Blu is after I finish a heat and am back in the forge or off doing something else, the ram will slowly rise until it hits a micro switch.  The switch is height adjustable to easily accommodate various heights of stock, etc.  Anyway, the ram will press the switch slightly and allow air to escape but not far enough to cause the ram to drop.  This will let enough air escape to cause the compressor to run.  Normally I can't hear the air hissing as I wear ear muffs, but I will hear the air compressor kick on.  A simple touch to the foot pedal will cause the ram to drop slightly, stopping the air.  I contacted Blu about this and they said it was "Normal".  No big deal but very much an irritation and something I wish Blu would address.

I only use flat dies with homemade tooling, either hand held or bolted to the dies.  I can bolt tooling to the top die of the Blu but could not to the Anyang top die (this may have changed with later models).  I'm an occasional user and do mostly ornamental work.  Either hammer will do what I need.  I also like the fact that the Blu is quiet when not being used.

Blu needs a separate air compressor. The Blu Max 155 that ESSA has uses an Ingersol Rand compressor that delivers 150 PSI ( 5 HP 15.8 CFM it's "BIG").

The problem's we had with Big Blu is when we needed tech support or parts it took forever to get help ( terrible at answering email). The hammer has been in use for about 10 years and is relatively trouble free despite being used by students and taking a lot of abuse.

• 2 weeks later...