I Forge Iron

Anvil and post vise base

So, I recently acquired my first anvil and post vise from the same antique store.  

I needed a way to mount my "new to me" tools and after a few days of deliberation, this is what I came up with...

The base is made from 4"×6" treated posts that I sandwiched together with stainless steel all thread nuts and washers.  I planed the top level and sanded it all smooth. I also recessed all the bolt holes with a large paddle bit so I didn't get anything snagged or cut on the ends.

I'm still not sure how I'm gonna mount the anvil to it. I'm being weird about it / very particular. I think I might just forge my own brackets.

Any suggestions and or constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Thanks

20170811_161043.jpg

20170811_161154.jpg

20170811_161223.jpg

20170811_161301.jpg

Greetings NH,

Anvil base could be used but the vice mounted on the same unit not so much. You will soon find out that you will need access to all sides of your new anvil.. I suggest that you do some research on anvil stands and post vice mounts on this sight . I myself have posted several..   You will do well.

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

I think you have a solid base, but you might find the vise in the way in the future. I would suggest separating the two. The easiest way to attach the anvil is forge brackets like you said and lag bolt it to the base, or use chain and lags.  I dunno if you know about them already, but I would check out the Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland in Westminster if you get a chance.  Good local resource and great people. http://www.bgcmonline.org/

1 hour ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

If not, I would suggest widening your stump so the anvil can be turned with the heal tord the vice and a goodly distance between. You will find that you switch sides or stand beside the horn.

Another point to add to Charles suggestion would be to turn the vise and lower it so the jaws can hold stock on the anvil's face for you. With the jaws in line with the anvil it will allow you to work all the way around the jaw on the far side. Both tools really REALLY need clear access all the way around for maximum utility.

There are vise anvil combo stands where the vise drops into a receiver on the anvil stand, hardy hole or clamp to the anvil. This keeps it out of your way for regular forging operations but quickly available when needed. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings NH,

The best way I have found to mount your anvil is to trace the base pattern than use a router to cut a  1/2 inch well to set it into. Than two simple brackets to hold it down.. Vice mounting is all about available space. Enclosed one of my portable  set ups that is easily moved . Good luck 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

The post vise is simply held in place by the square nail in the picture. I can just tap it with my hammer and the entire vise comes off in about 30 seconds. Same in reverse. The post that it mounts to will still be in the way a little bit but the top of the post is about 3 inches lower than the top of the anvil. 

20170812_102721.jpg

• 4 years later...