I Forge Iron

Old and Unmarked

HuskerDave

This group has been a great resource for me to identify and learn about the many vintage vises that I am seeing this year. This one has me stumped and any info is appreciated.

It is old, heavy, and unmarked. It has a 3" Jaw and is in great working condition.

It was bolted to an old table that was purchased for $5.

20170809_175906.jpg

20170809_175925.jpg

20170809_175945.jpg

Hey there, HuskerDave, and welcome to IFI. Without knowing where you are, it's going to be hard for the folks here to answer your question. We have members from all over the globe, and knowing if you're in the US, Argentina, Poland, or Australia just might make a difference on figuring out your vise's origin.

(I'm guessing that you're from Nebraska originally, but even that doesn't tell us if you live there now or if that's where you picked this up.)

Welcome aboard Dave, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

Can we see the bottom? I don't have much knowledge as to makers but there are some things that might make it easier to ID. There was a trend to make do everything combination tools, the, "vise, anvil, drill press, power saw," being one of the more complete work shops in one versions. The bottom view might reveal if your vise was at one tie part of a combination tool and might be a clue that identifies it for someone who can help. Or it might be missing the bottom half, say a rotating base.

Very cool find. Does it work?

Frosty The Lucky.