I Forge Iron

Frederick's crosses from RR spikes

They are fun Sam. If strength wasn't an issue, you could incorporate one as a hilt on a spike knife or something.

Taking a suggestion from one of the forum members, I took a piece of inch-thick truck leaf spring and (with several heats) drove a polished spike through it. I made a die that would let me make the surface of the head flat, to sit on a table or shelf, and not lose the spike-look of the bottom side of the head. the only catch is now all my crosses look very similar.

Richard Thibeu AKA Dancing Frog Forge AKA rthibeau has made one from 2 1/2 inch round I think, there is pictures in the gallery.

I think square stock lends itself better to the design.

I wonder if Chris Friedrich's proportions (ratio) should be maintained on the larger ones? I'm scratching my head, but I'm guessing the overlap of the two cuts should equal half the thickness of the stock.

Nett, they look pretty in either round or square, it's a matter of taste i guess. I am not sure about the proportions, all I know is the more you overlap the cut the larger the center diamond will be, so adjust accordingly, remember is it splitting your bar into 4 peices in the center though, wo whatever your parent stock cut that in 1/4s so you don't ene up with too flimsy a cross.

• 3 weeks later...

Sam,
Here is a picture of the dottom die for flattening the bottoms of the spike heads without totally deforming the upper part (when the spike cross is standing).
DSC01103.JPG
I made this from a chunk of leaf spring from a dumptruck. It took three heats to drive the spike I was using as a drift through the spring.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...