I Forge Iron

refurbishing tig electrodes

When you refurbish or sharpen tig electrodes, does it matter which way they are sharpened, or with different size grits?

I mean it is easy to put the electrode on the guard and 90* to the direction of the grinder and spin the electrode. This gives you a series of concentric rings around the taper.

The other way is to hold the electrode long ways or parallel to the motion of the grinder so it makes long scratches along the taper.

Which is best and why? And does sharpening with a fine grit preform better than sharpening with a course grit?

I know I should have done some research b4 opening my mouth ;) as its been years since I did TIG but I do remember the grind should be parallel with the rod as TH and HW said. However, there is also consideration for the shape of the tip. A sharp tip is not always is not always desirable and is dependent on the material being welded. Can't find a link but some electrodes come with a blunt tapered ball type tip.

All good comments above. I learned to point the tip away from the wheel rotation, otherwise it caught and shattered. The fellow at the abrasives store sold me a fine green stone (SiC) which he said most of the local welders used to grind their tungstens. It worked great, but now I am looking for a portable grinder so I don't grind the thoriated electrodes on my shop grinder.

After an exhausting research session ;) I found this term: Balling; An electrode preparation process in which the tip of the tungsten electrode is formed into a hemispherical ball. This shape is required for AC and DCEP : What is the definition of balling? Also here's another interesting document I found, millerwelds gtawbook.pdf Hope this is useful :)

To have a perfect ground tip on a tungsten as the manufacturers will recommend:
1-Grind longitudinally- so stated by others before me. All good information.
Tungsten electrodes are manufactured with the molecular "grain" running end to end, or so one manufacturer has claimed. You grind against the grain if rolled around the grinding wheel at a 90

Rutterbush, I grinned when I saw your last comment about using a torch to sharpen tungsten. I have done the same, more time than I can count, with "good, in a pinch" results. First saw it done nearly 30yrs ago and thought the guy was off his rocker;)...proves the point "keep your eyes open and your mouth shut" when learning from the oldtimers! One other method of sharpening tungsten is chemically. It will leave a residue on the tungsten but you can carry the stuff in your pocket and point a tip at the work site with nothing but the "Chem-sharp" and you. Personnally, I'm not that crazy about the stuff but have used it and will probably do so again.

Thomas Dean,
You mean that I'm not the only "crusty old welder" (C.O.W.) who has sharpened a tungsten with a torch?
First time I saw that Chem-sharp was at an AWS convention in Hotlanta way back in 1986. I've never used or seen any more since. I did take a pocket full of the sample cans home. I gave them out to other welders who had never seen anything like it. That was kinda like taking a sample of magic back to them.
Oh, yeah. Sharpening a tungsten with a torch will leave an oxide coating on the tungsten. Don't let the inspector catch you doing that.