I Forge Iron

Not sure if this is the correct topic area but its a problem for me

pdxsparks

So I have been making some great bracers for the family twisting 1/8 square stock together in 4 bands to make a braided look. I want to up the game on this for a set of ape hangers for an art bike build I am working on but want to take it one step further. I want to twist 2 dissimilar colorings together so that the finished polished product would have 2 different brightnesses. any suggestions on 2 steels to use so that when I polish it up they will have a different sheen? I have only been smithing for a year so I have not nerded out on metals yet I just don't have the knowledge. 

Welcome aboard, good to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

We need some clarifications: Bracers is a term that means a lot of different things depending on context or where you live. For instance, a LOT of people I know think "Bracers" are the parts of armor that protect your forearms. 

Another reason region is important is what steels are available to you and the products you're polishing with.

Ape hanger handle bars makes me think you're in America but there's no telling for sure, lots of countries get caught up in cultural things from all over. The Italian love for American western movies for instance.

We'd also like to see some pics of your products, it'll give us a much better idea of what you're thinking.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was not coffeed up enough this morning the word I was looking for was torc. 

I have not looked into titanium in the forge yet. I will do some research and see if that would work. I also thought about just using gun blacking on 2 of the 4 bars, but that is sooooo much taping to cut off the other ones from being colored by it. 

Ha, no need to be sorry it happens all the time. Lack of coffee effects me funny too.

Oooh Torcs! Check out the pattern welded knives for color contrasts by alloy. Trying to mask and patinate interwoven strands would be more hassle than possible. A high nickle alloy with low carbon provides great contrast. Lots of varying degrees of contrast are possible without trying to mask elements using alloys and etchants. 

Are you doing simple twists or weaving? I can't recall the name of the technique but it was IIRC a Viking form of weaving strip stock bu slitting, twisting bending, folding and. I'm sure someone here with a functioning memory will recall the pieces, technique and even be able to link to pics.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 7/31/2017 at 6:23 PM, Frosty said:

Are you doing simple twists or weaving? 

Just simple twists for this project, I have weaved torcs in the past from wire and reduced them through hole sizes until they are tight and beautiful but it honestly takes too xxxx long for the results. 

I'll ask the local metal shop for something with a high nickel low carbon content and see what I can get

Of course, all of this might be for naught if I can't get to the forge before I leave. 

1 hour ago, pdxsparks said:

Just simple twists for this project, I have weaved torcs in the past from wire and reduced them through hole sizes until they are tight and beautiful but it honestly takes too damn long for the results. 

I'll ask the local metal shop for something with a high nickel low carbon content and see what I can get

Of course, all of this might be for naught if I can't get to the forge before I leave. 

Check with the steel suppliers some carry higher alloys but you'll probably end up buying from one of the online suppliers. Someone will post names shortly, I don't recall.

Before you leave? But you just got here! :o

Celtic knot patterns aren't hard to do in steel and they look pretty cool flattened into a band. No need to draw it through a plate unless you REALLY want to.

Frosty The Lucky.