I Forge Iron

Hay Budden? If not what?

Hello to all and thanks in advance, I feel like I purchased an #80 HB......am I right? I do not own the Anvil book, but I am purchasing it next! Thanks again for looking....using flour where the words are didn't work as good as on the Id # and weight. So that is why I ask.

20170723_165726.thumb.jpg.ede73b6e0902ad4269fbd5f3b8e1c6e8.jpg

20170723_165819.jpg

20170723_165647.jpg

Use flour or soapstone to fill in the markings. Then lightly brush the flour, soapstone etc off leaving the material just in the markings. Use a strong light from a low angle, from the side, to highlight the markings. You may find shining the light from different directions ( N, S, E, W, etc) will bring out different details.

You can also do a pencil rubbing with paper, of the area in question. If in doubt, do both. Sometimes one method will revel things the other method misses.

Yes, charcoal from the forge will work instead of a pencil. (grin)

You do not need a book to "date" the anvil.

Just hug it gently, maybe a little wire brush massage, and caress it's face with hot metal. Maybe a rub down with light oil when you finish. Do not be concerned if the anvil is a bit older than you are, it should still provide a lifetime of service.

I 100% agree, I bought it for use, but I love to know the history and story of the tools..... one of those if they could talk things. Older tools make me happy, down in the very tiny, deepest part of my heart that cares about such things :)

• 1 month later...