or
kasteel bier,
or
Westvleteren,
or
Orvalle,
or Chiney,
or Tripel Karmeliet...
Belgian beers are the best of the world! :-) believe me if you ever tested one of these al athors including guiness will taste like dishwater or stale coffee, it is a know fact that we make the most diverse and best beers in the world (exept for pilsner type beers, those are better in tjechie and germanny). I'f taught a couple brewing clases and beer tastings around europe. your always welcome!!!

but I gues belgian beers would be kind of expencive in the US right know due to the shipping costs en the dollar being so low to the euro.
So go for "leffe" its a pretty good belgian beer, and Imbev brews it locally in the us.
kind regards!!
johannes

Leave it to a bunch of blacksmiths to turn a thread about outfitting a shack into a beer and booze fest!

You do have to be careful distilling. I understand acetone and alcohol vaporize within a few degrees of each other. If you stay away from "mash" that is high in cellulose you minimize acetone. If you know the vapor temp points and monitor you're even safer. If you ask some one who's from the hills how to do it, make sure their eyesight is good. If they're cross-eyed you might not want to use their production methods!

Back in the 70's I had a friend who was ancient. He was an old prospector and moonshiner. He loved to make dandelion wine and distill a brandy out of it. He had a still that was a real hoot. Took a regular old pressure cooker, put it on his stove, ran a copper tube off it into his sink, filled the sink with cold running water and caught the distillates coming out of its end. Said it was real easy to ditch the cooper tube and host a revenuer right in the kitchen without him being the wiser.

Been forging the past couple nights. Made 2 nail hooks the first night. And started working on a toasting fork. I was using rebar for stock. Well tonight I went to finish the toasting fork. I get all the way down to the handle where I was going to draw it out and curl up a nice ring for it to hang on the wall, when I heard the most sickening sound. The twang of one of the tines breaking off. I had been holding the fork at the tine end while I was working on the handle. I have no idea what happened. I just stood there in a daze for a few minutes wondering what happened.

Then I went to the fridge, got another beer and sat in my plastic deck chair (that is convieniently sitting right in front of the forge).

I think next time I will do the tines last.

-Dan

Did you ever quench the tine end---and this included dropping it on cold ground or setting it on a cold anvil!

If so rebar can sometimes have enough carbon to harden and since you didn't draw temper on it the small tines would be glass hard and the vibration of working the other end can cause them to break.

Re-bar is my least favorite steel.

Newbiesmith- If yer close to hagerstown, maryland metals has a great scrapyard the have acres of leftovers and returns (plate, round, sqr, rebar, mesh, etc, etc) for 35 cents a pound!!!! and they'll even help you load it if ya ask nice(just make sure yer truck can haul it, lol ,found that out the hard way once). I also found a source of pocahontas nut coal in town.

Happy banging
Mark

Hagerstown. That's just a couple dozen miles east of my home town. I'll have to definately look into that.

Yeah I don't have a truck at the moment. All I have is a Saturn 4 door and my wife's Forrester.

I always get strange looks when my little Saturn pulls up to the yard here. And I get out with my dress (work) clothes, tie tucked into my shirt pocket, a pair of wolverine boots and work gloves on.

Then the guys at work always wonder why I come back from lunch with a big smile on my face.....

-Dan

I always get strange looks when my little Saturn pulls up to the yard here. And I get out with my dress (work) clothes, tie tucked into my shirt pocket, a pair of wolverine boots and work gloves on.

Then the guys at work always wonder why I come back from lunch with a big smile on my face.....

-Dan

LOL yeah, I got some strange looks myself cruising the scrapyard in my ambulance. Nothing like using company time to support my hobbies. I think maryland metals will deliver as well.

Mark

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...