I Forge Iron

Farrier vice info needed?!?

Millhand

Here is a Well bro's vise made in Greenfield mass.   Does anyone know how the spring set up us supposed to work.   It has none but it definitely needs at least two to function.  Its a joy to have in the shop.   

I have a bungee cord on it now to make it function. Also what is the cogged apparatus for? 

14988631931522005707908.jpg

14988632356131487824013.jpg

1498863266196260824669.jpg

My machinist is making me a new set of brass jaws for her as we speak. 

14988633245261646580514.jpg

For those without a machinist friend, but still need a soft metal jaw on your vise, try this.  Find a piece of copper or brass pipe, cut it the long way, flatten it out, and then put it in the jaws of the vise. Now bend it to confirm to the jaw and hold in place when the vise is opened. Make two, one for each jaw.

Is a calking vise. Like Thomas said you hold it closed with your foot. They don't have springs. If I can find a film of the thing being used I'll put it up but in the meantime have a look at the sharp shoeing jobs done on these horses for the winter ice in this vid. A calking vise was a very handy tool for this type of work.

George

Thanks George!   This syle of vise does need the use of a spring to lift the lever.  The pivot point is very far forward. I found some pictures on the site of a few of these exact vises.   Now to find a period correct spring or make one :)   

wells boro vise.jpg

Looks like they came with a bunch of inserts.  I can see where i will be using this alot once i have a few jaws made for her.

Also feel silly for just now figuring out the adjustable block is actually a adjustable upsetting block.   Boy i feel smart.   Lol 

14989403105941079335582.jpg