I Forge Iron

Variation of a JABOD (porta-BOD), portable, with no screws/nails

Today I had some extra time, and will be heading up to Nebraska soon to visit my cousins, and though it would be fun to bring a portable shop, something that wouldn't fill a 5 gallon bucket. Obviosly this topic is about the forge, but for the anvil I will be bringing a 2"x3" x 5" block of mild steel, will be buying charcoal there, and will find a stump there. They live in a rich boy neighborhood, and their parents don't want me digging a hole in there yard, that is the reason for this, or else I would just bring the pipe and hair dryer and go to town on that.

Anyways, it didn't even take up an entire 1"x6" which I found down at the creek. Was just 2 15" pieces and 2 19" pieces, that I cut a slot half way the width of the board, just slots that the other pieces slide into. On the ends I took some think oak planks to brace the ends so they wouldn't break off. For the slots I just did two parallel cuts, and then used a chisel to knock out the piece. On one of the shorter pieces, I drilled a hole, and using the scroll saw cut out a hole for the pipe to come in at.

There is no bottom to the forge, it is meant to be used on the ground, and will probably be use on concrete, though today I used it on grass.

For a little test run today, I just filled it with soil from our area, which is practically sand. I see why ya'll recommend clay! the sand just sloped once it dried out, but id didn't seem to make much of a difference in function, as it just made the fire pot the right shape for charcoal. I made a little coat hook with the forge on a piece of in bolted down railroad track, just to kinda go back to the days when I was starting out, It was lots of fun. With just wood I could get it to a yellow, though if I had used smaller pieces I betcha I could have gotten it to forge welding temps. Then just for the heck of it I through in some coke, and it melted actually a good bit of steel, what I'm trying to say, is it got HOT!

so like I said, I will be taking this to Nebraska, and my cousin and I will do some small scale forging, should be fun!

It's like a Porta potty, except it smells better!

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6611[1].JPG

IMG_6615[1].JPG

IMG_6612[1].JPG

IMG_6613[1].JPG

IMG_6614[1].JPG

IMG_6616[1].JPG

any suggestions and critiques are always welcome, especially ones on "portable shops", obviously I will only be bringing a couple pairs of tongs and a couple hammers, but everything else I'm still not %100 percent sure on.

Littleblacksmith

Thank you! yes!! I like that!

Littleblacksmith

weld a bit of angle iron on the sides of your "anvil" and drill a couple of holes so you can lag bolt it to the stump and it won't try to get away from you in use. Remember to set the hole far enough away from the body to get a socket on them, easier to install with a ratchet wrench!

That was my plan, I didn't think about the hole spacing, so thank you!

Littleblacksmith

Remember that old saying---"Not my first Rodeo!"  I even have enough extensions to get the ratchet above the block so you only need the 1/2 the socket width offset...(just one of those things you pick up on general principles when you find them cheap at yard sales or fleamarkets) I'd also put the angle iron on just a tad off the bottom so it will pull tight against the stump but keep the block against the bottom if the surface is rough sawn and the angle bridges a ridge or two.

I went out before breakfast and drilled 4 holes on a project this morning before it got hot and I had to go to work.  Doesn't sound like much till you factor in having to clear brush to get to the area and then trailing the extension cord out the bedroom door and across the dog yard to get power to the drill.

If they are fussy about their yard you may need a bottom to your jbod or something to set it on to make cleanup easier.

Bottom can be nothing more than a couple pieces of anvil iron or channel and a piece of thin plate steel to rest the dirt in the box upon. Couple of tabs would hold the box in place on the plate. The air below the plate would insulate the ground, or what ever you put the JABOD on.

Thank you glen and Thomas!

I'm thinking I'll just use it on the concrete, shouldn't be too hard to clean up.

Littleblacksmith

very true, also just to give me something to do I may put a bottom on it.

Littleblacksmith

Parents just told me I wont be bringing it to Nebraska....I probably should have asked them *Before* I built it (hahaha), but then I wouldn't have made it, which I enjoyed doing so. I'll probably just give it to some beginner smith just starting out.

Littleblacksmith

Then when you get to Nebraska, ask permission to build a forge and use the 3 bricks and a pipe for the side blast. You may find that they even have dirt in Nebraska.

You may find that they even have dirt in Nebraska. Blacksmiths have been known to burn corn kernels  as fuel. May want to bring some back with you as a test fuel. (grin)

I guess I should really just shuck it up.

I should have said It differently, I cant forge in Nebraska. My Aunt's house has cedar siding, and she is very paranoid about it catching on fire, but I just think it's a load of crop.

only corn joke I know,

What did one ear of corn say to the other ear of corn?
Don't look now but I think someone is stalking us.
                                                                                                                         Littleblacksmith

Thank you! it literally took no more than an hour to make, what took the longest was the glue to dry. Forges can be simpler than this too!

Littleblacksmith

Yes, two very different things! Yall make me realize how bad I am at wording things and leaving out some of the most important details...lol.

I cant forge at my Aunt's house in Nebraska.

Ya'll do have me interested in the forging with corn, as after deer season we always have left over corn.

Littleblacksmith

You are sure as heck allowed to use my backyard while I out of town. I will have to as you to mow my yard though in exchange. 

I will leave the gas and mower out back and the ice tea in a cooler.:lol:

But seriously I wish I was around besides one day when you are up here, it would be great.

I may pass....Though not a bad trade off, first though I should ask, how big is your yard?? that makes a big difference....

Would you like this forge? You being a wood worker may be mighty ashamed of the work though....Hahahaha!

Littleblacksmith

I don't want to get paid back, if I was wanting to get paid back, I would be selling everything to you, not giving it to you. If you would use it, I will give it to you. It's not that big of a deal, considering that it took me just around an hour to do.

Littleblacksmith