I Forge Iron

Coal forge not burning

Bob lee

Hello smiths,

I am teenager looking to get into this world of blacksmithing. I was recently surprised on my birthday with a ww2 era forge and blower. Unfortunately I have not been able to start the coal. The coal I was able to pick up had been sitting outside kind of wrapped up for a while. I have tried using newspaper covered in coal and even charcoal to help start my fire with no success. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thread moved to correct place in forum

I start my coal fire by making a nest out of a brown paper bag with small kindling pieces of wood on top along with coke from a previous fire.

Light the paper and when it is going, I pull fresh coal around the edges while putting mild air to the fire. Once the coal lights I then add more coal till I have the desired size fire.

Build a fire from sticks and small pieces of wood. Add just enough air to get it going real good. Next add a handful of coal. Add some more wood, more coal and enough air to get it to burning. If the coal will burn (and is not rocks) it should take off and burn on its own.

There are many different types of coal. You have to learn how to use the fuel you are working with.