I Forge Iron

Gasser Garage. Rebuild your forge or make it a HOTROD.

Frosty

Gasser Garage forge rebuild interest thread poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. So you want to rebuild or turn your old hoopty gas forge into a HOTROD.

• Yes my old one's getting pretty worn out is it worth rebuilding how do I go about it?
    • Yes, how much can I improve the one I have?
    • Not really, this one's good enough.

Mikey suggested I start a gas forge rebuilding thread. I'm holding a poll to see if there's enough interest.

I'm thinking of doing it like the old "Dear Abby" advice column if anybody remembers her. Anyway the idea is a thread where you can ask questions, get advice, throw out ideas, etc. and discuss rebuilding old forges. 

Lots of new stuff is coming down the pike, refractories, designs, burners, etc.

What do you think, worth the time?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty says the question does belong here, not Burners 101.  Here goes.  I want to reline my forge & was wondering since 2" wool was recommended, why not 3"?

I can stand to lose the 2" off the diameter.  I've never used it without the firebrick volume eliminators.  I'd also be interested to experiment with any new-fangled face coats that anyone has rumors of.  My maintenance mgr at work wants me to get this one tuned up so he can duplicate it for the repair/r&d shop...

9 hours ago, Tubalcain2 said:

we can call the thread "dear Frosty".:D

Oh GREATl, our first GASSY suggestion! 

I gotta light a match, back when the air clears. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, IronWolf said:

I am in !  I need to build 2 forge's  a small piece work forge & a clam shell type forge for plate work

working on design any Idea & Pic's  welcome !! :)

The small forge is basically a matter of deciding how much room and access you need, the rest are details.

A clam shell on the other hand can really be a challenge. If you've ever been near one when it was opened you know what a stroll on the sun is like. How large a section of plate are you talking about heating and how much throat do you need? This could be interesting, I was thinking about heating plate and large sheet when I designed my variable volume forge long ago. Be fun to see if we can make a workable version. I'll dust off some ideas.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, aessinus said:

Frosty says the question does belong here, not Burners 101.  Here goes.  I want to reline my forge & was wondering since 2" wool was recommended, why not 3"?

I can stand to lose the 2" off the diameter.  I've never used it without the firebrick volume eliminators.  I'd also be interested to experiment with any new-fangled face coats that anyone has rumors of.  My maintenance mgr at work wants me to get this one tuned up so he can duplicate it for the repair/r&d shop...

Sounds like another inch of wall thickness fits what you need nicely. Any idea how I can lose 2" off my diameter? 

The club went in on a quantity of Zircopax flour from Seattle Pottery Supply and it arrived in a flat rate package costing IIRC $3.76/lb. The last time I checked ITC-100 was running $126.00/lb. wet Plus S&H. Seattle Pottery will ship pretty small quantities if Zircopax though it is available in RR gondola carloads if you shop around.

52 minutes ago, WoodnMetalGuy said:

That's what I'm doing.  14" diameter with 3" insulation.  It's what Ron Reil on one of his pages said he would do for his next one, so I thought I'd give it a try.  -- Dave

That'd make a nice size bore if you need that much but even if you can't it's not excessively large. 3" of refractory blanket  can't hurt if you have the room. Ron designs some good stuff, he really puts thought into it. Have you considered details, features, etc. you'd like?

Looks like this thread might take off after all. Cool.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

Didn't Abby live in Alaska...  

I think a thread of this nature will be interesting and informative, even if I never build or rebuild one; can always use ideas.

Yeah, she lives with us of course. Abby is Deb's service dog and a local poster dog for rescues. 

Frosty The Lucky.

5952f4397c3d0_Abby_headshot1.JPG.ad2207392486b8689286f2a1d55332fd.JPG

Iron wolf: This thread was really set up as a gas forge rebuild or upgrade thread. What you're proposing is designing and building new forges. That's a subject more suited to "Forges 101".

I'm thinking this is going to be hard keeping on track as is, ESPECIALLY with ME:o trying to ride herd on blacksmiths! Like I can stay on track for a whole sentence. 

Anyway, lets take your ideas and project where it should go and we'll brainstorm it there. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, Frosty said:

Any idea how I can lose 2" off my diameter? 

Ack, sorry boss,  Fingers working faster than brain.  Should have said "INSIDE" diameter.  It was a 12" air tank from loooong ago.  I did snort coffee though. 

Thanks for the Seattle Pottery Supply lead.  I'll add that to my material vendor's list.