I Forge Iron

What anvil did I get?

I stole...err...bought an anvil at an auction this past Saturday. I finally got some pictures loaded, and want to see if anyone can confirm or tell me what I picked up.

For some reason, I can't get the picture to show up. They can be viewed here

Take a look and see if you can tell me what I bought. (Yes I have a good idea of what it is, but would like confirmation.)

As you can see, the face is badly damaged, but I think fixable.

Pam

face.jpg Face
heel.jpg Heel
horn.jpg Horn
rtside.jpg Right Side
writing.jpg Writing

Edit: photos and hot link added

Looks like an M&R Armitage Mousehole. If your a good welder and not afraid to offen Vulcan you can repair the face by arc welding with some rods made for forging dies. Welding forging dies is common practice in the forging industry. I have seen dies with at least 50 pounds of weld deposited in the cavity so they could be resunk. Contact a welding supply company for info on the differnt rods available.

Pam. Your anvil is indeed a Mouse Hole anvil. But I have to give some advice here if I may. Your anvil was, I believe, made between 1820 and 1830 and in original condition. Mouse Hole started puting pritchel holes in at about 1830. Yours lacks this, making an important dating tool for us. The body shape is wonderfull. You have a nice Blacksmithing artifact. I would recommend giving it a good home in your shop and have a toast on it from time to time and thats all. It is too nice to ruin by trying to "Improve" it. I have one about 10 years older that someone had allready "Fixed" so I didn't feel as bad about making it right but I would not have touched it if it were as nice as yours. Enjoy it for what it is. Almost 200 years old. :) Brad

Brad,

Actually, I think the anvil is a bit older than you think. It doesn't have a pritchel hole. Here is a quote from a webpage on dating mousehole anvils...

"I am passing on a rough guide to age that I am got from Jim Wallace at the National Ornamental Metal Museum. If the anvil does not have a step, and has an even smaller horn than the small one on other Mouse Hole anvils, and is attached directly under the end of the face, then it might not have a steel face, but could. This anvil would have been made in the 1750-1775 time frame. If it has a step, and is made by Armatage, marked as an Armatage Mouse Hole, then the face is hard steel. If there is no pritchell hole, it was made before about 1790-1795. If it has a PUNCHED pritchell hole, it is in the 1795-1850 manufacture range."

and this concerning logos...

"1780 - 1795: MOUSEHOLE
1795 - 1820: C&A MOUSEHOLE
1820 - 1835: M&H ARMITAGE MOUSEHOLE

Since it has a step, but no pritchel hole, it should be from 1775 to 1795. Old indeed. I can't see any writing above the "OLE", so it well could be before they added M&H Armatage to the logo, and there isn't enough room to have C&A MOUSEHOLE. If it is in fact just the MOUSEHOLE logo, that would date it between about 1780 to 1790. Almost 225 yrs old. :)

Not bad for a cheap anvil at a small farm auction, in the middle of Pennsylvania.

Pam

Pam. Glad to see you think age matters. I spend some time each year at Quad State talking to Richard Postman. By his accounts the pritchel hole appeared about 1830. The shape of the body to me appeared to be of the latter style, making it after 1810 or so. Thats just my interpritation after working with information gathered, like everyone else, from other sources. I am no expert on dating anvils. I was just trying to help. I hope you keep it. I would however consider wire brushing all the light rust and paint and dirt out and putting a finish on it. Another gentleman I was talking with this year, who is quite a collector, stated that a wire wheel in a drill works well. I tried it and it worked great. Then he uses clear spray paint as finish. His anvils look superb. And it helps bring out any markings that are faint. I still havn't tried this yet. Thanks. Brad

• 15 years later...