I Forge Iron

My first knife!

The Alchemist

I am a chef when I'm not blacksmithing. I guess I just like fire. I have been making handles and sayas for a little while now, but this is my first knife.

Hand forged 52100. Blade length is 9.5 inches. I have it between 62 and 65 rockwell. I heat treated by eye. The handle is a Japanese wa style made from Lignum Vitae with a black and white ebony ferrule. 

0602171650_zpsbshvzgmu.jpg

0602171648a_zpsn5k2goky.jpg

0602171648b_zps21nxtbxf.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Josh Cooper

The edge tells mostly a lot.

The blade is a real convex beauty.....mostly Chefs know what cuts real good.

(....telling the color by eye needs years of experience.....maybe a few bucks invested in a thermometer?....those non alloyed cold work tool steels do not have a big tolerance in heat treating....not a critique, just a recommendation to be on the safe side according to heat treatment)

For the first complete knife You did an awesome job!

Looking forward to Your further creations.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Very nice Josh, well done.

Would you be surprised if I told you cooking is a popular pursuit amongst blacksmiths? Managing heat is an addictive thing. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

That is very interesting! I'm the only one in my kitchen who doesn't complain about the heat.B)

3 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

That is very interesting! I'm the only one in my kitchen who doesn't complain about the heat.B)

If I do it right I AM the only one in my kitchen when I cooking, period.  I've never been a pro and having lived in Alaska for 45 years I don't get along well with being hot myself.

Frosty The Lucky.