I Forge Iron

etching question

A.S.T.

AST,
I don't dilute the muriatic but I do keep a close eye on it. Check your blades every 30 minutes or so. You can also mix 7 parts muriatic to 1 part ferric chloride to get more colors out of the steel. Use this in a well ventilated area. It will release a lot of chlorine gas.

For the health risks involved with muriatic I prefer to use the pcb etchant. I have found that lots of folks are having troubles finding it at Radio Shack. If they tell you they are out,,look at all the top shelves and all over the store. The last two bottles I bought they did not know they had. For a mix of water and acid follow the golden rule AAA,, always add acid. There can be a reaction if you add water to acid. With Acid work outdoors and watch the wind keep wind at your back. If you use a container other than the one it came in mark it clearly as to what is in it. Such as two parts muriatic pool acid and one part water. Hope all works well for you.

^ Good Advise, now if the wind would just stop changing directions :P

Offhand Id say all "Muriatic" (Hydrochloric) acid sold is already diluted, check the bottle to verify where your starting from. It can range from 14% to over 30% for stuff sold to the general public ;)

In general the stuff for pools can be on the lower side vs the stuff for etching concrete which can be on the higher side, though you can get higher concentrations for pool use too. Even higher concentrations are available (generally as hydrochloric acid) from chemical supply houses
Hydrochloric Acid, The Science Company. (36>38%)
Hydrochloric Acid, 50% ScienceLab.Com
dilute to suit (sorry I havent etched pattern welded steel, just pickled large architectural items)

If you go to Radio Shack you need to find a fully stocked one; one that sells electronic components such as circuit boards, transistors resistors, etc or they probably won't stock PCB. (At least that is the case around here). The one I went to listed it in their catalog but it was listed as "in store only" meaning they can't ship it anywhere. However, they didn't stock it there. They only sold products such as radios, cell phones TVs and other complete products, but no DYI stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

if you do decide to use the higher consentrations (30-36Molar) of hydrochloric acid you have to be very careful because it is unstable and will turn to hydrogenchloride the gas. The gas can react with the moisture in your nose and mouth and make some nasty burns. It happened to a kid on friday during a lab.