I Forge Iron

I have the opportunity to buy this anvil I only have 2 relatively poor pics. It's about an hour drive away from me and I'm trying to arrange a time to meet. The seller suggests there is no maker mark or brand name visible. From the pics I couldn't see any. I was hoping that some of you may be able to identify it. 

I would also appreciate any feedback on the anvil including any major red flags or pros. 

I'm a noob, but I know finding anvils in my area is really hard and any that come up for sale often sell fast and quite expensive. 

Thanks in advance. 

image5.JPG

image1.JPG

looks like a old English pattern. W. foster, maybe. that is just a guess. could also be a mousehole.  it would be a steel plate on a wrought body. normally good quality but that one looks like it was ground on, which can ruin it for practical use by thinning or removing the face plate. definitely do a rebound test before u shell out any cash.

Be sure to knock off from his asking price for grinding on it! Take a ball bearing or light ball pein hammer to do a rebound test. The idea is to drop a bearing and estimate how much it bounces back as a % Use a ruler if you're not good at eyeball guesstimating that sort of thing. The higher the % rebound the better, below 65% is pretty poor. 90% and up is outstanding. In between is decent to good. The test with the hammer is similar, you're looking for how well it rebounds, just let it drop and estimate it. The hammer is a better tool to test the whole face after dropping the bearing a few times. Check the entire face looking and listening for dead spots, sudden changes in rebound or the tone of the ring. Cling cling clunk, is a bad sign. The rebound and tone will reduce as you test toward the ends, this is normal, it's the sudden change that's the BAD sign.

It's condition looks pretty good otherwise. Just make him pay for grinding useful live off it to make it look better than is now is. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thank you for the prompt replies. 

I'll go prepared to do the testing.

Providing it tests well, and it weighs the 150lbs they are suggesting. His asking price is $2/LB (CAD). 

If I buy it, what should I do to it? It was obviously ground, hopefully not much but it definitely left marks. 

I greatly appreciate the warm welcome and kind responses. 

Kevin

Hey Knuckles, 

Heads up on those edges. Because of the fact there a different color than the body, looks like they were welded up. Welds=heat, in most cases it destroys the temper. Please, check the rebound on the entire face. 80%+ is my personal rule. 

Best of luck in the hunt

N.N.F.                     Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA  

If it passes the rebound test and the ring test (that type of anvil should ring when tapped with a hammer---if it's not restrained)

Then if the edges have not been welded on C$2 is a pretty good price.  If they do show signs of welding I'd offer less and do tell them that the grinding takes off from the price just like having patches of primer on a used car---makes you suspicious of unadmitted repairs!

ask first if it has had the edges repaired or welded on then check them carefully, if they have then $1 a pound is more like it if it has been welded on and tell the seller that.

if welded with normal rods or wire the edges will be soft and will mushroom over very soon also the oriinal face will be more damaged nearby, if welded with hard facing rods as well as face damage the weld can break off in chunks