I Forge Iron

Hey all could use some help with a couple anvils and vice ID

Hey everyone my name is matt. I have been making stone knives for about 10 years. I decided to dive into the steel world. I am 30 and decided to start blade smithing and black smithing. Been hunting for months and hit a mother load find today.

Hoping some of you guys can help me ID my anvils and more info on the vice.

Ok the vice is a Columbian and had the Letter M stamped on it. No other numbers. I can find lots out about the M2 AND M3 but I think this one is earlier and is also fixed with no swivel.

First anvil on the stand has 155 for the first part and I think A 427 is the second part.

The small anvil has  75 then 7704 on it.

Also scored champion blower and forge, 4 hardies and lots of tongs and etc and also a pole vice but it doesn't have any marks or number on it. It can be seen in the pics.

Any help would be great and looking forward to learning more and a few new trades.

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

Both  most likely Trenton anvils.   Your pictures are rather small size to view for details.  The A427 serial probably has more numbers that are blocked by the welded stand holder wrapping on the foot.    It may be only A427, but chances are there's another number....

The 7704 most likely has more numbers too, that isn't the correct base style for that low of a serial number.

Please take a closeup picture of the logo stamps on the side with the horn facing right.  Look for a diamond-shaped logo stamp...  and closer pics of the serial numbers, larger sized and resolution if possible.

Black frog you are spot on. I do see a faint diamond and some marks on the big boy that are Trenton. the small one has no marks I rolled it around and could not see anything.

daswulf yes half the face in ground down and a new self was built because of piece that that broke off in early stages of life. The flat piece on the stand is from a rail car that was used to compress the springs its a big flat piece that will work great I think when I need a flat plate to pound on.

I also took another picture of the other side of the vice.

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

Here are some bigger images of them. Thanks guys.

I can see that there is probably 2 more number on the Trenton under the welded part. I cant see them but there space for 2 more numbers the same size but don't want to cut it off and these are going to be working pieces.

full size big.jpg

IMG_0334.JPG

big small.jpg

5 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Daswulf; you mean the edge of the shed roof behind the anvil in that picture? You can see it under the heel. but the face does look thin where it meets the step.

Looks completely gone from mid anvil to the table. 

Carpsniper, I would beef up the legs if you want to use that stand that it is on. Just my opinion there tho. 

Screamer because of what I paid for the whole lot. the forge/blower/10 pair of tongs/4 hardys/post vice/big vice/coal/saw blades and 2nd anvil etc. I got a screaming deal on all the stuff together. 150 for the that anvil setup yeah decent deal but it was part of the package and the package together was the screamer.