I Forge Iron

Forging Tubing

How much can you change the cross section of tubing by forging? I'm looking at making a sun-ray pattern grate, and it needs to be easily removed and handed by my wife, so it can't be too heavy. I'd like the rays to taper towards the ends. Bar forged with a taper is out because of that. 

Could I carefully draw and forge a taper on square tube?

Slowly and carefully is the key, it can be done.  I've made electric light brackets, even large "s" hooks with tapered ends out of square tubing.

Be sure you plug the open end with paper, and be VERY careful about cooling in water. A shot from a steam cannon will ruin your day in a hurry.

Al

Greetings Baja,

Tapered ends on square tube can be done but it takes practice.. I have done several elements this way and as you can see twisting adds a new demention. Good luck on your build.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

Greetings Arkie, 

Yes the center is set down on oposing sides with a simple rounded point flat chisel., I use my fly press so I control the depth of the tool.. Fun stuff.. 

Jim

4 hours ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Arkie, 

Yes the center is set down on oposing sides with a simple rounded point flat chisel., I use my fly press so I control the depth of the tool.. Fun stuff.. 

Jim

Thanks for the info on your process.  The fly press probably makes it easier and more uniform than trying to fuller it with hammer.  That way you can do both sides at the same time and regulate the depth.

It's "somewhat" easier to draw sq. tubing down in V dies. Unfortunately there can't be much tubing out of the dies or it takes on a  mind of it's own. Rather than a selection of spring V dies I'd make a spring die with a larger bottom die, (angle iron YES?) and make the top die changeable so you can chase the draw size down with the tool. 

I've only done a VERY limited amount of forging on tubing but spent almost an hour talking to a guy who made a living at it many years ago. The V die trick made so much sense it stuck in my memory. I've never tried it though.

Frosty The Lucky.