I Forge Iron

What do you think of my slitter?

I made a simple slitter today and I intend to use for a variety of purposes, such as slitting a hammer.

I wondered if the geometry of the tool is looking good or if it could have been improved.:)

The length of the tool is around 165 mm and was forged from a medium carbon steel cylinder of around 18 mm X 130 mm.
The handle was shaped from a 50 cm branch of an elm and is set in the head with a small metal wedge.

slitter1.jpg.3cb62fb27a40b91cc3b9dbbb72969d3c.jpg

slitter2.jpg.8108488a2c5a5a19a1d8f918832bcb3f.jpg

slitter3.jpg.dbfdd7b536e663daebd90e9a9b5cf00d.jpg

Sorry for the low quality.:wacko:

Hi,

I think you made a hand held slitter with a hole in it. The problem is, it's too long for its thickness. It will vibrate, eventually break the handle, and maybe break in half. With handled tools you have to go shorter - especially on the struck end. They are made for heavier use so they have to hold up. (Of course if you use it lightly it will do the job.)

Generally the handled punches/slitters etc. are not wedged to the handle. It's better if the tool part moves than breaking the handle or hurting your hand.

I'd go with a bit bigger hole: more wood in it the longer it can hold up.

I'm not sure about the edge angle - it can be very practical sometimes, but if you are a beginner it's not bad to see both sides of the stock around the chisel edge while you're splitting it. Especially when making hammers. But this is totally up to you, if you can hold the chisel the way you see the stock.

But anyways: try and use it. You'll see what you need to improve.

And don't get me wrong, I don't say you made it badly, I just commented on the geometry part.

Bests:

Gergely

Thank you for your responses!

Gergely, all of what you wrote makes a lot of sense to me. For this slitter, I could easily modify the handle if it vibrates too much.
I plan to use a 4 lb hammer to beat on the tool and I suppose it should be holding fine. (I won't be using sledges on it because it is a bit thin.)

I will try to make a small hammer with it next weekend or so and I will try to post the success or the failure of both this tool and the new hammer!

also people typically don't wedge top tools, as it makes it easier to replace the handle when it brakes, notice I said when.

Littleblacksmith

today it's typical to see the Brazeal type slitter or eye punch.. 

Years back the tools were much larger or longer than today.. Back when wrought iron and steel was used to face the wrought iron or even if the tools were steel.. reason is they were for the most part more general use tools.. Yes they had a plan in mind when made.. But instead of having only one function a slitter or handled punch would be used for both smaller and larger stuff.. I personally in the way back used to make handled punches that looked a lot like the same thing you created.. 

I still have them and they were in very heavy use right up till I closed up shop..  I have a butcher tool that is way to long for what it is supposed to do by I cut a few thousand tenon's with it and it will easily cut a few thousand more..   

A shorter tool is easier to handle or keep straight.... If you are a big strong guy then don't worry about it.. But if you are a computer jockey the words of advice would hold true.. 

As Time went on I did start to make my handled tools smaller as the less mass the more force goes directly into the object you are working.. 

The handled punch I made 28 years ago have made thousands of holes as well and many hammer heads..   As my skills increased so did the quality of work I would put into my tools and tooling.. 

littleblacksmith,

I agree with you, when the handle breaks, I won't be putting a wedge and simply will carve a more gradual taper to the wood.

jlpservicesinc,

Thank you for taking the time to write a very informative post.
It is interesting to know the tool I made looks quite versatile. (When I made the tool, I had not a specific use for it.)

Luckily for me, I am in pretty good shape and I don't suffer from any kind of physical injury. I have been blacksmithing for a few months
and I never felt exhausted or felt pain while doing it. (Except if you consider the hot scales flying around.):D

• 1 year later...

Unhandled punches and chisels are fine when you're hitting them with a hand hammer. Handled punches are best when you're using a powered hammer or have an assistant with a sledgehammer. In those cases, a missed hit can indeed do some pretty serious damage to your hand or wrist, but more importantly, the longer handle gives you somewhat more control over the placement and angle of the tool. It's also easier to see what's going on when your hand isn't in the way.