I Forge Iron

Should have tempered

I made this knife from a piece of 1 1/4" cable. Normalized it three times after forging to shape. Did not normalize after grinding but have been told this was necessary. Sanded to a 1000 grit finish, did the file work, hardened in oil that I pre-heated till it was hot to the touch. Brought it back to a 1000 grit finish then grinded the cutting edge into the blade without overheating it. I did not edge quench it I just submerged the blade only, straight down in the oil. There was not a crack till after I etched it in 140 degree F muriatic. While I was hand sanding with 1000 grit to highlight the etching I saw the crack. I am assuming this would not have happened if I would have tempered immediately after hardening. But, I am not sure. any suggestions would be appreciated. The crack is in the curve about an inch from the end
100_1959.JPG

I had sharpened this knife prior to etching because I did not want the whole edge a different color. I know not to sharpen prior to hardening. I guess not tempering caused this crack. Do ya'll normalize after grinding? I never have.

I typically forge my blade, leave it in the forge when I finish to let it aneal, do my grinding, go back to the forge and normalize three times, and then after my last normalizing cycle bring it to tempe and quench it, going straight to my pre-heated toaster-oven tempering station after. Because of the process that I use, yes, I normalize after grinding.