I Forge Iron

Too damaged?

Hard to see what that crud is on the face and the horn -- old paint? The surface underneath looks decent, but it's hard to tell. If you could go over it with a paint scraper and a wire brush (NOT a grinder!) and get the gunk off, it'll be easier to answer your question. 

It looks fairly pitted, but nothing too horrible. There appear to be some flat spots that can be used effectively. The short answer is no, its not unusable for knives, but I would suggest starting with blacksmithhing before you go into bladesmithing. 

Thanks. I hear you about starting with blacksmithing. I made my first tongs the other day. They were pretty rough.

I'm a woodworker and have a pretty good feel for how wood will act. Metal is a whole different story.

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Yes starting with projects for experienced smiths is always a bit rough.

Two thumbs up to that!

If i was a budding young smith, I would be focused on what today's society/young smiths refer to as "meaningless decorative items".

To add to why the key rings bottle openers hooks ...... Because they sell in any market and your practice is with lot cheaper material.  Plus most of the hammering skill are in the decor items.  Did I mention they sell... Good way to gain some extra $$$