I Forge Iron

Howdy from Texas!

Howdy!

I have made a few knives using stock removal ( which I enjoyed! ) but didn't get quite the satisfaction I think I'll get from forging. Now for my planned set up. For my forge I'm planning a simple two brick forge. For my anvil a piece of railroad track. And of course safety equipment and tongs/hammers. Not the best set up in the world but you have to start somewhere! Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning from all you masters of this craft!

Daniel. 

Same here, if ever in the area let me know and drop by! Since Texas is the size of some small countries, it may be more helpful if you add if you are in the north side, south ect.

Hey, your set up is better than lots of peoples when starting out, and is better than what mine was when I first started! The tools don't make the smith, the smith makes the tools.

Welcome to IforgeIron!

Littleblacksmith

What part of the panhandle? There's a group of guys that get together a couple of times a month in Amarillo to pound metal. It's mainly farrier oriented but there's starting to be more, like myself, who show up to do other types of blacksmithing. 

Wow, you're closer to me than you are to Amarillo! Every first and third Tuesday of the month we get together at the Well Shod farrier supply store. They've got a few different forges and anvils set up and they just bought a Big Blu power hammer for people to use. There's dinner, some cold beer and pretty good company. Also, every so often someone shows up who is mighty handy with knives. A couple of guys who've been on Forged in Fire drop by on occasion. 

So Daniel M, as littleblacksmith said, Texas is a really big piece of ground. If you, at least, narrow it down to the Texas Panhandle in your profile, you may find even more in common with folk here on IFI.

For example, my Uncle Jim farms a section outside of Hedley, what, 30, 40 miles from you?

Welcome to my favorite place on the internet.

Robert Taylor

I was going to say welcome aboard Daniel but it looks like the Texicans are gathering to say howdy. Must be nice to live in a cozy little place like Texas. :P It's one thing to be polite but ease up on the butter or these guys will start believing it.

Seriously, welcome Daniel, glad to have you.

Frosty the Lucky.

8 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

Wow, you're closer to me than you are to Amarillo! Every first and third Tuesday of the month we get together at the Well Shod farrier supply store. They've got a few different forges and anvils set up and they just bought a Big Blu power hammer for people to use. There's dinner, some cold beer and pretty good company. Also, every so often someone shows up who is mighty handy with knives. A couple of guys who've been on Forged in Fire drop by on occasion. 

Well shoot we'll have to get together sometime! Doesn't somone that was on forged in fire ( Don't remember his name.) live on the outskirts of Amarillo?

Frosty: Thanks! Not trying to butter anyone up! Been on several different forums that have been run into the ground due to no respect for anyone. So I always try to show respect and give credit where credit is due!

If there's someone around Amarillo that's been on that show, I haven't met them. Craig Trnka shows up every so often and have been on there and Jim Poor just finished filming his episode the other day. When you get the chance, get ahold of me and come on down to Clarendon. 

5 hours ago, Daniel M said:

Well shoot we'll have to get together sometime! Doesn't somone that was on forged in fire ( Don't remember his name.) live on the outskirts of Amarillo?

Frosty: Thanks! Not trying to butter anyone up! Been on several different forums that have been run into the ground due to no respect for anyone. So I always try to show respect and give credit where credit is due!

Okay just sling a little twitting at me now and then so I know we're on good terms. One of the things I really like about IFI is the hard line rule about flaming folk, that'll get you 86ed almost as fast as name calling or not curbing your language. The whole butter thing was a little friendly twitting, I understand country manners I just have to mess with folk, it's a Frosty thing. :rolleyes:

Us curmudgeonly types can get a little . . . direct(?) sometimes but we'd much rather be helpful. Honest.

Frosty The Lucky.