I Forge Iron

Found a new old book

BlasterJoe

Looking through an old book store in tonapah today and found this. It's from 1907 and reprinted 1913. Full of old timey writing and a lot of products I've never heard of. 

One thing I found interesting was about quenching files in molten lead. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

2017?  "ReInk Books, 2017. Hardcover. Book Condition: NEW. Reprinted from 1907 edition. Language: eng. NO changes have been made to the original text."  abebooks.com

I like the originals better myself but am glad more people have access to the books that that would allow.

It is an old printing. It's just new to me. There is a whole section of old book donated from around town. I tried the kindle thing but still prefer paper. Especially the smell of an old book. Reminds me of my grandma. 

Holmstrom's other book "Modern Blacksmithing" is an excellent book. And original printing copies are sometimes available. It's worth getting & reading if you come across a copy.

SLAG.

Good find, Blaster.  Old books can be a treasure trove of information and they are fun to read.  Beats wearing your peepers out staring at an electonic screen.  I suspect we all get too much of that the way it is.   Some of the information can be a bit arcane, but you have to use good judgement.  I have several shelves of them, but I keep adding on....   If your city library ever has book sales, look there.... you may be suprised what you find.  Another source used to be Lindsey Pubs.  Its probably been said many times already but I miss getting that old rag catalog in the mail. :) Scott.

Btw, I know what you mean about the smell that old books drift off..:)

The more I have read this book it is full of smack talk. He uses the term third rate blacksmith a lot. It makes me wonder if there was other books at the time that he didn't like or didn't like where blacksmithing was headed. 

Its almost like a turn of the century rap battle.

Or it is like today where anyone can get and anvil and call themselves a blacksmith. We don't have guilds or certifications like they do in Europe. My friend from Germany said the process to become a baker is something like a 6 year apprenticeship. Here in the States anyone can pretty much call themselves whatever they want.....even in the medical field. There was a case recently where a woman died from having silicone caulking injected into her for a cosmetic procedure by a "doctor".......

• 4 years later...