I Forge Iron

A couple new flat tops

OK------Been a Trenton guy forever----just adopted a few new girls.I need a few opinions !!!!---the VANADIUM is near pristine,anyone have any working experience? My limited knowledge---sold by Sears in the 30s--40s ,solid cast steel and probably a number of mfgrs used.The first "upright" in the photo is one of the smaller pieces marked "C1"---IF that is all we know ---would "C1" make a good striking hammer ?-----second upright chonk with the hole was a counter-weight for a boiler door,WHATEVER it is ,it has a good ring and surprisingly good rebound.the pillow on top of the VANDIUM is a bit of Blackbird Ti from the mother of all "it followed me homes"---no anvil in its future,just giving it a bit of air.Anyhooo----any edumakated opinions on the VANADIUM,and C1 for a striker ?  Thanks in advance !!!!!

20170422_175201.jpeg

KK-----I honestly think it may have never been used,ended up with me by helping a neighbor clean out their basement !!---This one has a clear ring and GREAT rebound !!!........MC-----Yes , I have done a bit of tentative research---and I hope I made the admission that I know "C1" is a pretty broad designation,dont know if I will be able to get a full test done,Thanks !!

How is C1 broad? That's like sayin 1080 is broad. From what I'm seeing C1 is ASTM A537 carbon steel. I don't see any mention of different alloys with the designation C1.

You can find the specs online and compare it with other alloys know to be used as striking anvils and that should answer your questions regarding its use as such. 

51 minutes ago, yt12 said:

Just asking if anyone had any experience using C1 as a striking anvil.Thanks again.

You are OVER THINKING this. You have a piece use it and see. I doubt strongly anyone in industry uses C-1 for anvils, I could be wrong though there are a lot of machines that use anvils in the works and it might be just the stuff. 

Regardless just give it a try and tell us how it works. Don't go crazy and make a special stand, just set it up at a good height and give it a shot. If it works well then it's time to start thinking about stands.

Frosty The Lucky.

not at all---a week ago posted a simple enough thread----granted,the title was meant to attract eyes (do I grind off the top 1/2 inch)----but the question was simple enough---any opinions on Vanadium anvils---and anyone use C1 as a striking anvil.Nothing more nothing less.The thread was immediately re-reouted.Its all good,like I said,my title left that door open.I started this thread with 2 simple enough questions----any opinions on Vanadium anvils and anyone use C1 as a striker ? I asked as I was looking for legitimate responses. I thought the topics held as much interest as any.To those who gave an answer----Thanks !!!! And when I use the C1---I will give a review-----For those interested,read it----others can feel free to ignore it.Thanks again.

Mild steel is commonly used on striking anvils, because it is cheap, doesn't rebound (less injury prone), and it doesn't matter if you miss because it is just an ugly block of cheap steel. Take a sledge hammer and strike it. Did it hold up? Ok, then, use it as an anvil!

C1-----thanks !----been a long haul to get a few responses !!!!----wasnt trying to re-invent the anvil----had a big chonk o C1 that I havent really beat upon, just wondering if anyone else had used it ! ----would still like to hear some Vanadium anvil reviews !!!!!