I Forge Iron

Can a bellows be too powerful?

Kyle Hayden

For controlling air, leave a gap between the air source and the forge.  Aim the pipe from the air source more directly to the forge pipe for more air.  Aim the pipe from the air source less directly to the forge pipe for less air.   Lots of room for adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...

I raised them a litle bit, I even raised them more but I had trouble with space  and fulcrum it was hard to operate with them,.top board were hiting pole so I lowered them a litle bit.

Now I have to bend some pipe, secure bellows more and I will test,.probably now I can make valve to. Jus bwfore comparation, how they were and how they are now raised.

IMG_20210120_165638.jpg

IMG_20201006_165619.jpg

That crimp in the final bend of the tuyere just before it goes into the forge is probably giving you a lot of backpressure. If you can replace that with a more conventional right-angle joint, you're probably going to save yourself a lot of unnecessary effort.

Otherwise, looking good!

On 1/11/2021 at 10:35 AM, natkova said:
On 1/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Having a smaller pipe connected to a larger one slows the velocity down.

Wouldn that increase velocity because if.hose is smaller.in diameter water velocity and preassure is stronger?

A large pipe going into a small pipe will increase the velocity, yes. However, Thomas is suggesting having a small pipe going into a large pipe, which will slow the velocity down. Think of a fast river flowing into a large lake.

This crimp gives me bellows faster inhaled  , I dont think it should be issue if it is I am thinking to just by plastic elbow, because heat is not problem that much, and conect it to iron.

For now I wont doing blacksmithing that much because iam out od fuel and I dont have inspiration what to make, I did this so I can have more space too.

I was suprised how  heat is not traveling far as i tought, i tought my plastic elbow will be too hot, but heat was only 10 inches from pipe even when pipe was gloving red.

I think hollow things as pipe cool faster because they have already air in them.