I Forge Iron

Practice neck knife

lanternnate

Working my way up to making a knife for a friend. It will be the first I make for someone else so I'm putting a lot of effort into making sure I've figured out all the things I want to do on it. Last one was practicing with some new materials, this one is practicing the size and shape. It's a small neck knife. Started life as a John Deere mower blade (5160). Flattened and rough shaped at the forge. Thinned and final profiled at the grinder. I went for keeping the black finish from the heat treat. I tried adding more oil on during the temper from reading that was supposed to help set the black like seasoning a cast iron pan. All it seemed to do was get the blade gunky and sticky. I gently went at the blade with 600 grit wet to get the gunk off but try to preserve the black. It has a scandi grind because that's the request for the knife I'll be making. Had a go at electro etching my logo on. Had to clean out the etched logo with some needle files to get it shiny because the etch ate in but still had some of the black. Handle is rosewood from a bit of scrap the friend who I'll be making the knife for actually gave me (his hobby is woodworking and he's been giving me the end bits of nice wood he has that are too small for his use but are perfect for handle scales). The real deal will be some fancy  G10 I've ordered. He wants large jibbing, but on this round I think the jibbing is a bit too large. I'll need to back down to a smaller file next time. 

IMG_20170412_200501042_HDR.jpg

Thanks guys. The G10 isn't fully about looks (I've order a two color layered set of scales, so hopefully it still has some interesting appearance). For the knife I'll be making for the friend he wants it primarily to have a handy little knife for fishing to trim off line ends etc. It's going to see a lot of moisture and fish slime. My thought is the G10 will hold up to that a little better than any wood option.

30 minutes ago, Daninghram said:

Looks great! Where are you in VT? I am in Bethlehem NH

Thanks. I'm up in the Burlington area. I drive through your neck of the woods on some trips to Maine. Beautiful area. I'm hoping to try to make it over to the New England Blacksmiths meet in Fryeburg ME this spring.

Had my first go at making a kydex sheath tonight. I learned I need to leave myself a little more extra to play with as the kydex shrunk a bit lengthwise when heated. I originally planned for the fold to be at the tip, and I had to pivot to folding along the side. Came out with a serviceable sheath though. I may need to take some more off or slightly heat and relax the opening because it is a hard click in and out right now. Trying to walk that fine line between tight enough to hold in well without being a pain to draw. My homemade press from an old bum warmer seat pad seemed to work out pretty good for the shaping.

IMG_20170414_205731286.jpg