I Forge Iron

Where do you get your steel

9 minutes ago, Caleb.B said:

What scrapyard? I'm kinda lost on where to go

Caleb, you might want to go back and edit your original post to say "I was wondering where all you Anchorage-area guys got your steel?" People who look at the Unread Content notifications might not realize you've posted in the Alaska Blacksmiths page, and that will save a lot of confusion. Do it now, before the one-hour editing window closes.

After you've done that, go to your profile settings and add your location. If you ask a question that is affected by geography, it helps if people can just glance at your profile and not have to ask or hunt down your location from a previous post or comment.

Good hunting!

1 hour ago, Caleb.B said:

Thanks JHCC, sorry forgot to put that in I thought it would only show in the Alaska forum

It's in the right section, but all sections are visible to anyone who looks at IFI. Thanks for updating your profile.

You can try the Yellow Pages, (paper book!) and talking to the fabricators about drops. I used to get new leaf spring drops from Alaska Spring but I haven't visited them in more than 20 years. 

Other than that I like new stock and get mine at the same places as Metalmangler but we're in the Valley. I used to buy from Alaska Steel over off Int. Airport Rd. near MInnesota. Or Greer. Greer Tank used to have an extensive fab shop and might let a person pick their drops and scrap. 

Frosty The Lucky.

A good source for scrap--if they're still working--is at NANA Construction, on Big Lake road. They are a fabrication facility for man-camps and modules for North Slope and mining applications. They generate TONS of scrap, though it is mostly structural steel types.

Also, I have perhaps 4 TONS of scrap I collected when I worked there. If you want any, come and get it. I live in Wasilla, at the North end of Lucille road.