I Forge Iron

Quick Dirk

JPH

Hello:

Something I whipped out yesterday for RPFS. 1095/L-6 with some meteorite thrown in. The grip is a nice hunk of Sambar stag that I have had for oh the last 20 years or so..bought it when you could still find it and it wasn't priced at a ridiculous level.(I still have about 100 or so pieces of his stuff..getting really pricey IF you can find it.).....This one will be sent down to my E-Vile minions for next weekend...

Turned out pretty good for a few hours of puttering about....

JPH

DSC03699A.jpg

DSC03700A.jpg

25 minutes ago, JPH said:

Turned out pretty good for a few hours of puttering about...

Yeesh... I spent 2 hours tonight just doing the post heat treat cleanup grinding and hand sanding on a tiny little cheese knife. I've still got hours to go in handle work. The fact that you knocked this impressive piece of art out in a few hours is flabbergasting. 

I really like your stuff. You're steel patterns have something about them that is just more alluring than any other pattern welded steel I've seen. Maybe it's the meteorite? I don't know it just feels like there is magic trapped in that steel.

Hello:

When you have been doing this for as long as I have (close to 5 decades...)you get "fast" simply by knowing what to do and when to do it. Contrary to popular belief pattern welding is not all that difficult. It can take some time depending upon the pattern you wish to create. Ladder pattern blades are some of the fastest ones to make...as it is more or less lamination followed by grooving and flattening... Composite twist/built composite and mosaic patterned blades can take a lot longer to assemble  and hammer out.

Believe me..if a ham handed hammerhead like me can do this stuff just about anyone can...It just takes practice and a bit of stubbornness and dedication.. 

JPH

That's a mighty pretty putter Jim. :)

What do you call the pattern? I'm also really taken with the bolster (or is it a guard) is it bronze and did you cast it yourself? 

You make taking a dip in the dark side awful tempting. Thanks for the look.

Frosty The Lucky.