I Forge Iron

Trenton post vise

JT

Hello John, so this is a Fisher Vise ?? 2 minutes ago, John McPherson said:

Fisher vises and anvils came from Trenton, New Jersey. The smallest was a #1, the largest at 120 pounds was a #4.

Fisher_No4 120lbs on factory stand close-up.jpg

Hello John, so this is a Fisher Vise ??

6 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Yep that's a Fisher. Those Fisher parallel jaw vises are becoming quite rare.

thanks for letting me know.. doesn't it look like the jaws may have been welded ?? should this be a concern ?? JT

Naw, it looks fine to me. Fisher chain vises are cast, and the way they work is the chain drives the bottom screw which makes them parallel at any opening. No company other than Fisher ever made them. They are going for BIG bucks, so if it is a good deal, jump on it.

4 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Naw, it looks fine to me. Fisher chain vises are cast, and the way they work is the chain drives the bottom screw which makes them parallel at any opening. No company other than Fisher ever made them. They are going for BIG bucks, so if it is a good deal, jump on it.

okay thank you !! I will look into it closer .. JT

10 hours ago, John McPherson said:

The smallest was a #1, the largest at 120 pounds was a #4.

Fisher vises went up to size #6, which was an 8" wide jaw.  The #4 is a 6".  

9 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Fisher chain vises are cast, and the way they work is the chain drives the bottom screw which makes them parallel at any opening. 

They were cast iron with steel bits embedded in the jaws, much the same was as Fisher made anvils.  

The jaws on the OP's have a different profile than mine do, and along with the coloration that makes me think they have been repaired.  Still worth getting, they are great vises!

10 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Fisher vises went up to size #6, which was an 8" wide jaw.  The #4 is a 6".  

They were cast iron with steel bits embedded in the jaws, much the same was as Fisher made anvils.  

The jaws on the OP's have a different profile than mine do, and along with the coloration that makes me think they have been repaired.  Still worth getting, they are great vises!

I went and looked a bit closer at this vise today.. its very heavy but I could pick it straight up by its post a few inches off the floor .. but wouldn't want to carry it far.. I think probably 150lbs or so... my friend thinks more like 200lbs.. but I don't think I could have picked it straight up if it was that heavy.. the jaws measured 6 1/2" wide.. I was also wondering about that coloration around the jaws... JT