I Forge Iron

Questions about a regulator

Ben van Leeuwen

So I have spent some time searching the archives, but haven't been able to find an answer to my particular question.   I recently built an ez-burner similar to one shown on Ron Reil's page to power my relatively small forge (300 cubic inch).  It has been a bit of a challenge to track down a regulator from a local supplier, but a rental shop who deals propane seems to have them.  I went there this morning looking for a 0-30psi regulator, and was met with questions about the BTU's of the burner and the water column.   Now I wasn't really expecting this as I haven't read anything about it previously, as a consideration when buying a regulator.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this?  And on a side note, do folks here typically buy their regulator and pressure gauge separately?  The shop has a red hat regulator that looks like I could pull a plug out and replace with a gauge.  

Many thanks for your replies. - Ben

I had a similar experience at the place I bought my regulator from. I told them it would be for a propane burner running at about 60000-80000 btu, and would be used for medium duty work about 3-4 hours a few times a week (don't tell them you are building a forge, they will likely stop helping you). When you get your regulator make sure you get the appropriate ACME or POL connector for the flow rating, the guys at the propane supplier will know which one is best, I ended up with a high flow connector (both ACME and POL connect to normal propane tanks). You should be able to google "propane suppliers" and your location to give you a few different options near(ish) you.

As for the gauge, I would recommend getting it at the same place, lpg can be quit corrosive so a gauge designed for lpg use is good, also make sure and valves you use are likewise rated for use with propane.

Forget about BTU output. You want a high flow 0-30 PSI regulator, water column has nothing to do with it, different use entirely say kitchen range or boiler. You get into trouble wanting to know too much about these things, they're home build forge burners, the guys at the hardware or HVAC supply have zero in their books to help you. Do NOT tell they you're making your own propane burning appliance! They'll dummy up out of concerns for liability. 

However, if you MUST give them a number, tell them you need about a 64' water column. It'll be good if you collect Kodak monemt expressions. 

Just hit the propane supply and TELL them to give you a 0-30psig high volume regulator. They'll have them on the shelf in back.

Same for buying fittings, don't ask them what's best for building a forge burner! Just tell them what you want. Remember to say please and thank you just do NOT tell them what you're making or they'll just point at the bins. Liability will make them stop talking about the things.

You're making a common beginner mistake and overthinking the things. The plumbing with parts lists have been laid out in detail many times. Pick ONE established set of plans and follow it. Asking help on large fora too often gets replies from guys trying to figure it out themselves so it's only confusing.

If you MUST ask, ask the author of the plans privately. It won't do you any good asking Ron though, he got so sick and tired of people just asking instead of reading his plans he stopped replying at all. Ron's plans are VERY complete if you can't figure THEM out maybe you should save up and buy a commercially made forge.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty, thanks for the advice on the regulator.  However I mean you no disrespect as I have gleaned a lot of knowledge from your posts on this forum, but no where did I say I wasn't following plans for my forge or burner.  They are already built, with the burner being constructed to the letter of Ron's instructions.  

My problem is only to do with a supplier telling me that they will not sell me a regulator unless I can give them some indication of Btu's.  I didn't actually mention that it was for a forge, or anything in particular.  But it is kind of hard to tell someone to sell you something when they have told you they won't unless you can provide a little more information.  

It is helpful to know that I should be looking for a high flow regulator, in the range of 60-80k btu's as VainEnd84 suggested.  Perhaps I missed that information in all of my previous reading as most of this terminology is new to me, and I want to make sure that I don't blow myself up.

Case in point about dealing with idiots or people that just don't care to help.  I went to a welding supply house recently to buy black flux.  As I perused, I asked the one of the guys behind the counter, "where do you keep your flux", to which he replied that they didn't carry any.  I asked him a second time to which he replied, "what are you soldering", to which I replied I was not soldering, but brazing stainless steel which is much higher heat than soldering.   He replied again with a quick "NO" to scoot me out the door and I retorted, "you really don't have any Black Flux to braze stainless steel?!?!"

Guess what? 

He had it in the back all along.  He went to the back without a word and brought me a new container of black flux, albeit a leaking one.  The moral of the story?  Some times the people behind the counter need more help then us.  

Yes. I've watched their attitudes grow worse and their knowledge shrink for the last fifty years, as the amount of welding supplies stores steadily reduce. More and more, people choose to simply buy their supplies on line; is it any wonder? But on line or in store, the customer needs to know exactly what they are searching for.

I ran into the same problem several years ago when building a Raku pottery kiln. Went to two propane (LP gas) suppliers and got the deer in the headlights look, when asking for an adjustable regulator. One told me they didn't make an adjustable one and tried to sell me one for the 500 gal tank set to 10 in water column household regulator.

Discussed, I went to eBay and got one with a Power Jet hand held burner with a Fisher Control's 810L LP gas regulator, 0-30 psi gauge, 30 ft of hose and all fittings. If I remember that rig cost less than just the regulator alone. I never built the Raku kiln so the rig will be used on our propane forge that I'm in the process of building. I'll start a new thread when the forge is being built using the GACO MR-750 burner.

I am going to give the local guy another chance now that I know better what I am asking for.  If that doesn't yield me anything I will have to turn to the internet. Just need to find someone online who doesn't charge me more for shipping than what the regulator and hose setup costs.  I found a few good set ups in the $50-60 USD range but shipping to my part of Canada adds that much again, plus the exchange rate.  Makes me more willing to spend a little more time and less money with the local guy even if he gives me a hard time.  

Sorry Ben, I misread your post. My bad.

I hear you about shipping, it about doubles everything here. The big box stores ship by container ship load so it's not quite as bad as it was before they started showing up here. 

Walking through Home Depot a few hours ago I walked past a weed burner display in the middle of an isle with a 0-30psi Red Head (I think) regulator, 10' hose and weed burner on special for $24.95. I took a quick jog down the isle with the regular propane regs, weed burners, space heaters, etc. and the average cost for a 0-30 psig regulator was in the $26.00 range. Same regs. but without the pesky hose, weed burner, striker, etc.

Marketing is a funny thing.

Sometimes is just doesn't pay to ask for help. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Ben, you are more than welcome to order it and send it to my house.  Come pick it up or I can meet you in Buffalo.  PM me if you want. Heck, just drive over and have a nice dinner with the Mrs. and pick it up.  I live just south of the City