I Forge Iron

Preventing rust on equipment.

redbate

Hi guys, I'm relatively new here and has a question, I've just finished my forge build and I've had it left outside covered in a tarp for a few days due to heavy raining... I think winter is coming sadly. Anyways I was just wondering what you guys preferred method of rust prevention on equipment is? I saw lots of topics on preventing rust on protecting finished work but not much on stuff you make them with. I was planning to hit it with wire wheel to remove any surface rust and paint it with a layer of high temp spray paint, would this be fine? Or is there more economic or simply better way?

Thanks in advance for your time fellas.

redbate,

Keep in mind that if you're burning coal, the ash in your firepot can combine with water (rainwater, dew, condensation) to form sulfuric acid which will rust steel with extreme prejudice.

I had a steel firepot outside but under a cover for one winter. By spring, it was bright orange with rust on all surfaces that had ash on them. 

When I got and built my steel work table (5/8" plate), I found somewhere on the web that said spraying WD40 on it, then heating the steel with a torch basically created a good layer of rustproofing. I did that on the top of the plate probably 5 years ago and it's been great since. Granted it's in a garage....but it's a non-ac garage in FL.