I Forge Iron

Help a noob identify his strange anvil, please?

Hey folks! I've done lots of reading of this forum and it has been incredibly helpful to me as I am just starting out, so thanks for that, first and foremost! 

I've been searching for an Anvil for the last few weeks without much success. Last night however, I managed to find a guy who was looking to sell his anvil for a pretty good price and I jumped on it immediately.

It weighs 25kg and has a flat horn (as can be seen below). I've looked with all my might for stamps and other branding but to no avail. I should also mention that I live in South Africa and the guy I bought it from spun me a story about how the anvil was incredibly old (which I didn't really believe) but if that was true (and because of the country's heritage), it would make sense that it would either be British or Dutch anvil. 

I would be incredibly grateful if someone were able to identify it as such an anvil or just let me know that I've bought a weird ASO. Thanks! 

DSC_0177.thumb.JPG.fb524252e5e861b6de8bd7f6ac32d5d7.JPGDSC_0178.thumb.JPG.0c52e76421c5d62de026a04b0fbc9729.JPGDSC_0180.thumb.JPG.daca0d3e7164fa7238bd378e7ca3ed2e.JPGDSC_0181.thumb.JPG.93cba19d33c9d8030b846d49cba710a8.JPG

DSC_0183.thumb.JPG.aba7c8451193b95c76bd44e61cacabc2.JPG

Not really really old---Doesn't have the small sharp feet of the older anvils.  Not Dutch in configuration.  Can you check the top for rebound with the ball bearing test?  

It looks cast with the seam under heel.  Odd pritchel  damage or mismade?  

I would be hesitant to spend much on it till I figured out if it was cast steel or cast iron.

Welcome aboard strange guy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Iforge folk live in Africa. MIGHT be one within visiting distance, you never know but if they don't know you're around you never will.

Sorry, I cant help on your anvil, I've never seen the like. Have you done a rebound test on it? I can think of all kinds of scenarios where an anvil like that could be born but I have a pretty active imagination. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I have done the rebound test (with a hammer as I failed to find a bearing) and it does in fact rebound. I would say about 80-90% however, it seems like the rebound is only in the center, as soon as you get to where the horn starts it has none (which seems like a regular horn since they're usually not made of hardened steel right?). The same applies to the heel but it seems to go a little further before the rebound drops completely. 

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard strange guy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Iforge folk live in Africa. MIGHT be one within visiting distance, you never know but if they don't know you're around you never will.

Sorry, I cant help on your anvil, I've never seen the like. Have you done a rebound test on it? I can think of all kinds of scenarios where an anvil like that could be born but I have a pretty active imagination. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the welcome! I'll add that location asap.

The rebound will fall off towards the horn and heal, this is normal. The rebound test is strongly effected by the depth of iron/steel directly under the impact site. 

I've been fooled by cast iron ASOs with pretty decent rebound but a scratch with the back of my pocket knife blade's tip showed it to be pretty darned soft. It was also less than 70% and taught me a lesson about evaluating anvils. No I didn't buy it and didn't recommend it to anyone.

Frosty The Lucky.

You can't really give a % rating when you test it with a hammer. It's more of a feel thing, depending on how hard you hit it. How is the ring? As far as it not rebounding much over the heel and horn, all anvils are like that. By the beefiness of the heal and the un-horness of the horn, I suspect a cast iron ASO.