I Forge Iron

Opinions and suggestions on anvil material

Hi, I'm a completely scratch beginner blacksmith. As such, I'm on the hunt for materials I already have on hand that may be useful. Of greatest importance to me is finding an anvil or anvil-like substitute that will suffice for making small to medium sized projects.

I have this old counterweight from a tractor we no longer own so I'm wondering if this will suit my needs for a time until a bigger, better anvil can be procured. 

So please, take a look and ask any relevant questions. Thanks,

Ben

IMG_0582.JPG

Here's a short video so you can hear the ring. I understand this is a somewhat decent way to tell if the steel is capable of taking the abuse of heat and hammers.

Anvil Material

Thanks for the help.

i was thinking of doing something similar to the guy /gal in this thread :

Any other suggestions as to the style of stand and material I should use? Or is the name of the game still get as much mass under the strike zone as possible? Can I sink it into a bucket of concrete?

Should I maybe consider cutting it in half or thirds and stack/forge weld them together ?

Thanks again,

Ben

For small project use you mentioned, I would not spend time and effort fiddling with it, at least not yet, maybe later if something better doesn't happen along. Just get it securely stood in a stand, decent tree stump or make a wooden or steel stand, all depends on what you can find and what tools you have a vaiable, there are plenty of good examples to be found on these pages if you do a bit of searching.

9 hours ago, Baldncane said:

Or is the name of the game still get as much mass under the strike zone as possible?

Yes.

Can I sink it into a bucket of concrete?

You can, but (A) it might be a bit wobbly if the base isn't wide enough, and (B) concrete tends to crumble over time from vibration.

Should I maybe consider cutting it in half or thirds and stack/forge weld them together ?

No, you've got good mass under the hammer; don't waste it.

Like Smoggy says, just get it secured in a stand and get hammering. If you have the wherewithal to make a stand like the one in the post you quoted, great. If not, make up a wooden stand to hold it vertical. There's a lot that can be done quickly and solidly with 2x and drywall screws. Just make sure that you smooth the face and round the edges before you start forging.

Oh, and you definitely get style points for black socks and pink Crocs. Just make sure they're the steel-toed kind.

Stand it on end and get to hammering.  This isn't rocket science and you're skill level is a long long way from worrying about a bigger, better, fancier anvil.

What you've got will work wonderfully as an anvil and is head and shoulders better than the anvils used in ancient days.  Now, it's just a matter of you taking the time to learn, focusing on the little details and executing the fundamentals to the best of your ability.

JHCC Ha! I will let my teenaged son continue with the title of "sexiest footwear !" :-D

This is a project me, him, and his slightly older brother are all taking on together. We've (they) recently learned how the combustion engine works by ripping a tiller apart. During that time, they showed an interest in beating the crap out of metal so, voila! Instant bonding idea!

Next up is a welder. We have plenty of scrap from my fathers many projects over the years. Between these two skill sets they should be able to rely on themselves when it comes time to fix/make/trade.  

My health is somewhat failing and I want to make sure my boys have a firm grasp on the industrial arts so they don't have to rely on any one else. Along with all the skills they learn in Boy Scouts and here with me, they really dig working on stuff together and with me. Just not golf. Maybe one day :-)!

Look for my questions about building our forge in the coming days!

Sorry for the long post,

Ben

Thank you all for your replies! We are now on the hunt around our property for something that just might fit the bill when it comes to a stand. With 22 acres of heavily wooded land, we should have our choice of stumps and logs. The stand I quoted earlier is awfully cool, but may require work that's outside our collective skill set. We may venture into something timber framed or lumber based. I'm partial to the styles which require banding just for the sexy factor and I'm more comfortable working with wood for something like this. I do, however, think we stand a good chance of being able to heat up some metal for our straps and beat them into shape as our first project. 

Are rivets too much of a task at this point? I think it would look really cool to have rivets lining our bands. Just a thought.

Thanks again guys!

Ben

7 hours ago, Baldncane said:

We are now on the hunt around our property for something that just might fit the bill when it comes to a stand. With 22 acres of heavily wooded land, we should have our choice of stumps and logs. The stand I quoted earlier is awfully cool, but may require work that's outside our collective skill set. We may venture into something timber framed or lumber based. I'm partial to the styles which require banding just for the sexy factor and I'm more comfortable working with wood for something like this. I do, however, think we stand a good chance of being able to heat up some metal for our straps and beat them into shape as our first project. 

Are rivets too much of a task at this point? I think it would look really cool to have rivets lining our bands. Just a thought.

I'd suggest finding a few logs about 24" long with some taper to them. Flatten off the matching faces and carve out matching recesses, so that when they are all together (with the thick ends down), they form a vertical socket that will hold the anvil snugly. Wrap some rope tightly around the outside to hold it together while you make the straps. I wouldn't go with rivets, but you could make some wrought nails to hold the straps in place.

What we call "clavos" down here, nails, often with large often decorative heads.  IIRC Weygers shows how to make them in "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" and there is a shortcut using  engine valves---but many of those are made from alloys VERY HARD TO WORK as they are made to retain their shape at very hot temps. An easier method involves forging out steel punchouts and drilling a hole for the nail and so having a decorative washer.