I Forge Iron

Fire pot alternatives.

jonboy79

Hi, been reading quite a bit and finally jumped in for a little more advice. So was really tempted in making a gas forge, but looking at the price of propane here in the UK to the price of coal, and the history with a coal forge, a sentimental value i think i am going with coal.

So my usages will be something like this, once month make a knife, pound on some iron, heat treat some fabricated steel or use it as a foundry to melt some Al. I'm looking for it to be reasonably portable in the sense of taking it out of the shed, and to be honest i'm not going to be spending big bucks on this, i just need it more as an occasional tool, and xxxx if i like it i will invest some more!! Also will be going down the rail track anvil or sledge hammer head if you see where i'm coming from. 

I'm like a Magpie when it comes to scrap metal and so far in my collection of items i have to use for a surround to the fire pot would be an expansion vessel/tank, 8 litres which i was thinking about adding a couple of hinges so it will open up or give a little wind protection if used out side, here is a picture 

expansion-vessel-rp-250-8-liters-de-diet

A couple of mid sized party balloon helium tanks, the type most people are making lined gas forges from and a camping gaz R907 tank, 

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Now i think the metal from the camping gaz tanks are going to be a little to thin for a fire pot and i see a lot of people recommending at least 3/16ths thick steel plate, but every one around me holds the price of steel quite close to there hearts, to be kind!! So i was thinking about using either the ole brake drum, a piece of H or I beam then weld on some ends or brick them up or some sort of cast iron skillet?? 

Sorry for the long winded post but wanted to explain a little of where i'm at and what i need. Regards

Please refer to IFI's T & C about the use of foul language

Have you taken a look in the solid fuel forge section? Lots of possibilities. I use a brake rotor for my forge pot. Roughly 8" diameter by 2-3" deep is good. Rotors can be had cheap or free since there are cars all around the world that need them changed here and there and what they take off is scrapped. 

depending on what part of the UK you are in call round my place and see my forges, it may give you ideas.

I use coke not coal, my shop is at NN14 1QF and in a couple of weeks im trading at Torm near coventry if that is closer to you

if you are going to be melting ali you will need to spend big bucks unless you are after a darwin award and following a moron like 'king of randumb' on you tube

10 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Have you taken a look in the solid fuel forge section? Lots of possibilities. I use a brake rotor for my forge pot. Roughly 8" diameter by 2-3" deep is good. Rotors can be had cheap or free since there are cars all around the world that need them changed here and there and what they take off is scrapped. 

Hi and yes as well as other google searches, and it appears that 75% of people would recommend a brake drum as a fire pot, and 50/50 on the brake rotor as less depth and vents around the sides. Funny thing is that i had just thrown away two rotors a few months ago, i might have another look at the section to see if any other item pops up as a fire pot. But i guess you are saying yours works fine at the depth.  

5 hours ago, the iron dwarf said:

depending on what part of the UK you are in call round my place and see my forges, it may give you ideas.

I use coke not coal, my shop is at NN14 1QF and in a couple of weeks im trading at Torm near coventry if that is closer to you

if you are going to be melting ali you will need to spend big bucks unless you are after a darwin award and following a moron like 'king of randumb' on you tube

Thanks for the offer Iron dwarf, but in the fens ATM for my sins. Funny you should say that it was him that got me first interested in a foundry all those years ago and has expanded from there. But the melting of AL was more for castings and art. 

Regards

8 hours ago, jonboy79 said:

in the fens ATM for my sins.

Please put your location in your profile settings; it will make it a lot easier for people in your area to find you (without having to go back and look at this thread).

1 hour ago, the iron dwarf said:

KoR is well known for telling people to do things that can easily cause them to get maimed or worse and the fens are not far from here, last weekend I was at newark a bit north of you for an event

KoR believe me isn't the scariest person i have seen on youtube, check this guy out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEPy6Za6cI&t=363s I don't suppose you are one of the chaps who does the Sandringham shows are you? I was up there a year or two ago and there was a few chaps with old forges doing a bit of work. My parents are hopefully putting there caravan up around your neck of the woods this summer, so if they invite me over i will pop by.