I Forge Iron

Recovered items, put to a new use.

16 hours ago, JHCC said:

Over on the right-hand side, are those springs to hold bar stock? Or bar stock to hold springs?

The springs are "stock" that hold "tools"  ;) i.e. pieces of pipe I use as levers when bending or tightening. They just happened to be there when I took the picture.

Works for things other than stock, in this case a bucket of pry bars. 

356.jpg

If you have a lot of stuff use 55 gallon drums, or 5 gallon buckets, or even 1 gallon buckets. You can add cardboard tubes to further separate the containers.  Just be sure to drill a hole in the bottom of the container so any water can drain out. You do not want to start a mosquito farm.

drum01.jpg

4 hours ago, Glenn said:

Just be sure to drill a hole in the bottom of the container so any water can drain out. You do not want to start a mosquito farm.

The five-gallon buckets I use already have the drain hole: they're recycling buckets left over from before our town went to single-stream collection

I use a saw tuning hammer as my dedicated drawing hammer. It has a nice vertical and horizontal peen with nice curved faces. It's apparently a very rare find, but it's a swell hammer. The best part? I got it for free.

4 hours ago, Kevin_Olson said:
15 hours ago, Iron Poet said:

I use a saw tuning hammer as my dedicated drawing hammer. It has a nice vertical and horizontal peen with nice curved faces. It's apparently a very rare find, but it's a swell hammer. The best part? I got it for free.

Hey IP. Do you have a pic of this. Interweb search for me shows nothing.

Something like this?

image.jpg

(From Richardson's Practical Blacksmithing, p.18)

My forge is made from recovered items. The body is from a semi truck rim (cut down) with a manhole cover ring as the table, cut down grader blade legs, a donated Champion hand crank blower that I had to rebuild. The only thing I had to buy was the black pipe to attach the blower. It's been going trouble free for 30+ years.

migket.jpg