I Forge Iron

Stock Removal Knife

BlackMetalViking

I made this little companion knife for my girlfriend. It was a quick and dirty stock removal job while my forge is down. The knife was cut from an old circular saw blade. The handle scales are made from a piece of cherry wood, hand shaped and finished with beeswax. 

58ac9371a50fe_AnnabellesCompanionKnife(1).JPG.817ba54911fd6e5135ba59e8c9e64416.JPG58ac93762985b_AnnabellesCompanionKnife(2).JPG.c1b37061e0a1b62685b387b893896b1a.JPG58ac937a11de1_AnnabellesCompanionKnife(3).JPG.5d3aa8691385d164bd877a192325ec85.JPG58ac937d7f273_AnnabellesCompanionKnife(4).JPG.f266810d044fb616c0ee7276b85b56e1.JPG58ac938010d21_AnnabellesCompanionKnife(7).JPG.a1895b042cabf6f87d85cbe4f6addbfa.JPG58ac93834b708_AnnabellesCompanionKnife(9).JPG.6974b019091ed27ba7f1a976d83d50c5.JPG

Comments, Questions and Critiques Welcome!

Thanks, 

Viking

Thanks for the good words gents!

58 minutes ago, WoodnMetalGuy said:

Looks nice - I wonder what kind of steel that is?  Did you have any issues overheating it while grinding it to shape?  -- Dave

I had very little issue with overheating. I used very light pressure, but I was also constantly quenching to keep the temp down, I dunked it every couple of seconds. 

57 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

I like the shape of the scales. You attached the scales just using epoxy?

That's correct! I drilled a few holes in the blank first, and then just epoxy. She just wanted a little light use blade for whittling and the like, so I elected to keep it simple and clean. 

Thanks again!

Viking

1 hour ago, BlackMetalViking said:

I made this little companion knife for my girlfriend. It was a quick and dirty stock removal job while my forge is down. The knife was cut from an old circular saw blade. The handle scales are made from a piece of cherry wood, hand shaped and finished with beeswax. 

That's a great little knife. Annabelle will be very happy.

'Cut from an old circular saw blade' sounds simple. Done with a thin cut off disc perhaps? Always hard to get neat curves I've found.

You have shaped the handle nicely and it would fit the hand well. I did a rough knife yesterday from a file and just epoxed the handle scales on. Seems to work OK.

Thanks for posting. I have loads of old saw blades so that might be the next try. I am not a knife maker's bootlace but if I can make something good enough to open a chook feed bag I'm happy. :)

Easy enough to test; take a scrap section and heat to non-magnetic and quench in water and then wearing PPE, try to break it in the vise with a hammer tap. If it snaps off easily then satisfactory for a blade.  If you can bend it back on itself, not good for a blade.  In the middle your call.

Thanks for the kind words fellas!

19 hours ago, ausfire said:

'Cut from an old circular saw blade' sounds simple. Done with a thin cut off disc perhaps? Always hard to get neat curves I've found.

I cut it with a standard cut off disc on my angle grinder. Most of the shaping on the sander. Pic#1 was right after cutting and pic#2 was after shaping. For the finger swell, I needed to use a die grinder to get the tighter radius.

Thanks for the heads up C-1 and TP. I had thought about the quality of the steel. The blade I used for this knife was a bit older and didn't have carbide teeth, so here's to hoping. However, I cut a blank from the another that did have teeth (the half blade in pic#1), so I think will test a piece before I continue. I was getting decent complex sparks, but I need a bit more practice on spark ID before i rely on that.

Thanks again folks!

Viking