I Forge Iron

Why Elm?

Why Elm specifically for an anvil support. Plenty of good stout wood available.
Again and again in various books on blacksmithing, elm is specifically called for as the best support for the anvil in the "classic" american blacksmithing era.
Please refrain from showing your metal stand here...
Why elm?
Dan.:)

Elm is the choice of wood for split resistance. It is specified in wagon hubs for that reason. Cottonwood also has the characteristic of being cross linked. How ever both elm nd cottonwood rot pretty fast. I wouldn't use either for a buried stump but have used elm for a portable. It held up pretty well.

I believe it's because your mid-nineteenth century blacksmith could sound it out and spell it reasonably well.

Frosty

Okay, that brightened my day.

One of my anvil stands is fabricated from 3" thick planks of mahogany. Don't know about its grain, but it weighs almost as much as the anvil sitting on it.

actuaally doesn't make any difference for a movable stump. Just what is available locally. Some species its advisable to band the top and bottom.

FWIW, when using a stump for a portable stand, use a chainsaw, chisel, router or other means to remove the center about an inch deep, leaving 2 inches all the way around the outside, it will set better and not rock on uneven ground or where rocks are present.