I Forge Iron

Hammer and Axe

Just took a course at the Mesa Art Center for hammer and axe building. These are my first shot at it. It was a great course and I can't wait to practice what I learned and clean up my technique a little.  We started with basic billets and the handles were shaved down from sledge hammer handles. comments and tips welcome

IMG_20170211_125931392.jpg

IMG_20170211_150035138.jpg

IMG_20170212_151252484.jpg

Looks like you are on the road to making some very fine tools.  Have you used them as yet (best test for functional tools)?

Is the axe mild steel with a high carbon bit forge welded, or mono steel (and if so what kind)?

Up to you, of course, but personally I like to see the axe cheeks drawn down a bit.  Of course you will need a cheek plate to finalize your eye in that case.  Might consider using a different drift for the axe rather than the same flattened oval you used for the hammer eye.  I've certainly done the same, but these days prefer a thinner, wider eye for an axe head (more like a commercial axe eye).  Just my personal aesthetics, these look very functional as is.   

The axe is forge welded. The instructor handled that part. I will be giving it a go on my own this weekend though. I will also be making my own drifts and such I am looking for dimensions now so if you have any advice I would love to hear it. The axe cut and the hammer hammered lol the endurance test will take some time. The eyes are a little off center so I will be working on that also. Lots of practice ahead but it was fun making them. Is a cheek plate like a flatter or is it a different tool?

Completely agree with Thomas on sizing for commercially available handles.  I have several axes I forged still waiting for handles as I am so slow custom fitting them.

Cheek plate is set below the item being drifted once the cheeks are drawn down.  Keeps them from being crushed.  They can be punched with an opening that will fit a drift.  Aspery has details on making them in his second book.  I think Brazeal uses some cylindrical supports set around the hardy hole and used under his fullered heads to accomplish the same thing.

OK I will search for that. Good idea on the handles too. It took a long time to get the cut off sledge handle sanded down to fit and look even remotely right. I will see if I can find some small axe or hatchet handles to get drift measurements. We only had 2 slits and 2 drifts for both the hammers and axes and I got the point of how it was done anyway. I think the class is new and may still be evolving. Maybe I can give some feedback for different axe and hammer drifts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 11:54 PM, Latticino said:

Here is a view of Brent Bailey's cheek plate (or bolster) and hammer eye drift (on the right).  Similar can be made for axes.  I think he also sells hammer and axe drifts as well as other amazing quality tools...

tools.jpg

whats his contact #

I think his stuff is very high quality and well worth purchase if you want to get right to hammer or axe making.

On the other hand, if you are ready to forge large size stock of that nature, and don't mind making tools, forging a drift for yourself isn't all that difficult.  Does go much faster if you have a striker or power hammer though.

I made a power hammer it works good but were I live at its hard to get a lot of good materials and gear everything has to be shipped in if I can't source it locally.It gets expensive quick ,right now the materials I use are car springs and piston Rams.I want to make a hammer drift I just finished a punch and slitter out of an old jack  hammer shaft.For me all my visual advice comes from video because there's not to many guys around here that do metalwork with a forge.I know one he's a real blacksmith that has a class but it's to expensive for me so I'll be sticking to trial and error lol