I Forge Iron

Need some advice - beginner

Hello!

So im forging on a old axe that had been laying around for some time. However there is no hole for the handle, so i flattened it out and tried to bend it. Please look at the picture, as im wondering if i could move "the circle" more to the middle, so the blade will be in the sentre, and how do you suggest i do that?

Thanks

16443096_1491348440906062_24636080_o.jpg

it seems obvious to me that you don't yet understand how hot steel "moves". if you want what you called the "circle" (proper name is the eye) to be centered, you heat up the steel and center it. i don't want to come across as a jerk, but i agree with C-1 that you should start with simple stuff and learn the feel of the steel. Good luck with your new hobby.

Welcome aboard Floki glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

I strongly ditto the suggestions so far, learn the basics before trying something advanced like forging an axe. It also looks to me like you're using a Hardy to make an axe out of. That's not necessarily a bad thing but a Hardy is a pretty valuable blacksmith's tool it's a hot cut chisel that fits the Hardy hole, the square one in the anvil and you drive the HOT stock onto it with a hammer to cut it.

However, at this point you've converted what looks like a Hardy to a no longer a Hardy. Don't sweat it I have piles of things I shouldn't have done THAT way, it's part of the game. Nobody knows this stuff without learning it and you're started out. Good on ya! If you can, hook up with the local blacksmithing organization and hopefully someone lives close enough to show you some tricks. Believe me every hour working with an experienced blacksmith is worth maybe weeks of figuring it out on your own.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome, Floki! Love your name, that's my favorite character from Vikings! 

I agree that it may be best to practice some more skills before you tackle this endeavor. The best way in my opinion would be to draw the eye material out a bit thinner, do an asymmetrical eye wrap and weld a scarf, but that's a pretty tough technique to knock out. There's probably an easier way and you're at the best place on the net to find that :) I'd grab some cheaper mild steel and practice this technique before you give 'er a whirl on some good expensive steel. But, one way to learn is to try!

Your enthusiasm is great! Keep at it. Check out Rowan Taylor on YouTube. He does a video forging an asymmetrical eye technique and the forging of the eye and the scarf is a doozie. I believe he does it on his trade hawk video. Great stuff. Clear, clean, and concise. These are great vids to take notes along to. He explores some wonderful old techniques. 

Cheers and best of luck!