I Forge Iron

Is this an old forge?

B_HOSS

My wife's family owns a few different farms in the valley we live in. Her cousin does the farming at the farm right down the road. He was going through an old shed and rolled this monstrosity out. He thought it might be a forge. After I originally looked at it at night I was certain that it wasn't. I went back up today in the daylight today. I'm still thinking it is not a forge but I can see how it could work as one. I took a few pictures the one has a five gallon bucket lid on it to show the size. The concrete slopes from the edges down to the center "firepot". The "firepot" center is metal. I believe it is wrought iron along with the ring that goes around it. Any ideas if it is an old forge or what it may be?

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2983.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

Definitely was an old forge. If you're allowed and it is safe, I would be back in there for what else may still be there.( I see the yellow 'caution' tape which indicates the building may be unsafe.) Although the forge is mostly apparently beyond use in its current state(who knows, it may be repairable) there are possibly lots of tools and 'other stuff' in there which are useable. Good luck on your search-who knows what might turn up but- I wouldn't turn it down!

Not a rivet forge you can see the spot that the firepot used to sit.  I once got a forge made from one of the large old steel tractor tires filled with concrete in a deal in western Oklahoma for my second powerhammer.  I abandoned it as it was heavier than the hammer and I couldn't haul it and the hammer.