I Forge Iron

Quench tank

I'm looking for a quench tank, specifically for knife and sword making.  I have a large barrel (wooden) for general cooling (water), but would like something smaller for specific purposes.  I'm thinking about some type of tank (oxygen type, or something without internal "stuff").  Suggestions?  Guide for cutting it down.  HELP.

Greetings G,

You might try an old stainless steel fire extinguisher.  They are easy to cut with a thin cut off disc in an angle grinder. They are also handy for storing cut off stock. I buy all I can at flea markets and junk shops..  Just a thought that might do you some good. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

I use a cut down welding tank for oil quenching.  Note that you may need to allow for heating the oil.  I use a large chunk of steel on a 1/8 to 1/4" dia steel wire that I heat in the forge and then drop to almost the bottom of the tube and then hang the wire's hook on the side of the tube.  Repeat as needed to get the correct temperature.   I built a holder for the tank to make it much harder to knock over---oils a mess and when flaming a possible DANGER!  (I also have a lid for the tank.)   Diameter of the tank depends on your use of it and how much oil you need to do a proper quench.

Right now I am looking for an ammo box to hold my parks 50 for blades of "historic" steels and some pattern welded ones.

Pearl of Wisdom:  if there are any industrial type businesses in the area that have some sort of self contained breathing apparatus for HAZMAT teams, the air tanks (like scuba tanks) have a limited life.  Find one and get a few of the expired tanks.  Remove the valves, cut the top off, you have an excellent quench tank for oil for long thingies.  Even a Sara Lee pie factory had them, which is where I got mine.  Better yet, find a place where they're getting rid of the old stuff and buying new.......the older tanks are larger.

• 2 months later...

That looks like a good one to me and no messing around turning it into a quench tank. It needs a stand of some sort so it can't tip over but you could wire it to to something solid even. I wonder what shipping to AK would run. Hmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.