I Forge Iron

Is it worth improving a cheap anvil?

Hello all,

So, I've got a cheap anvil. I knew it was cheap the day I got it, but it was a gift, so I didn't complain (it's a harbor freight 55 lb... I believe it is made out of a dense cheese). But now, after my first dozen or so projects, it is so pitted and beat up that it is impacting the quality of my work. Plus, there are some techniques I see online that I try, and they typically work, but in the end I have such a dent in the anvil that I don't want to try it again.

My question is, would it be worth getting a piece of good quality steel, cutting it to shape, and welding it to the cheap anvil's face? Or should I just start from scratch either building or shopping for a used one? (no way I can afford a new one any better than I have, not this soon after the holidays)

Sure, anything is possible, but is it practical? 

Welding cast is an adventure. I have done machine repairs, and it is a lot of work to make it come out correctly.

This what I would do. Machine the top dead flat first, then bolt a piece of forklift fork to the top of it from the bottom up so that bolts do not come through the top surface. 2-3 studs or bolts should do it. Quick and dirty, but it will be better than what you have now.

But, if you can get some forklift fork, just use that instead, and use the HF as a weight or doorstop.

Go to the anvil section and read what others have posted. You may want to pack a lunch and a cold drink before you go.

The first post in the section *Show me your anvil* has 70 pages and over 1700 posts, in that ONE thread.