I Forge Iron

wedding gifts

Bearded Guy

Hello all, 

I figured i have lurked around long enough and wanted to share what i made for my nephew & his bride for thier wedding gift...

i figured i would make bracelets and matching pendants... I forged these on my 1 day off the day before i flew back to houston for the wedding. luckily my brother in law had a few tools layin around for me to finish em up with. 

for his bracelet i used 1/2" sq taken down to 1/4" throw in a couple twists and ........ i screwed up on one end of it, but i guess it adds character..... for hers i used a small piece of steel cable that i did not weld completely (on purpose) to show more of the texture from the cable. I had to coat hers with some thick clear epoxy to keep any sharp bits from snaggin clothes & skin, everything else got a shot of rustoleum clear coat.

for the pendants i used some slip dies that i had layin around for a while now and wanted to see if they could be forged.... good news, they can, but it was it tough... i melted the first one, but the second one i got enough for 3 pendants out of. if i ever make another pendant, it will be mild steel or something easier to work. 

Please let me know what y'all think, good bad or indifferent, all input is appreciated.

I guess its time for the pics,

hey Mr ThomasPowers, if you happen to see this, i am curious if you know what material slip dies are made from? I noticed in a couple other posts you have an oilfield background as well. Just curious.

Resized_20161202_162324.jpg

Resized_20161202_162402.jpg

Resized_20161202_162554.jpg

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

Thanks Thomas for the input, i figured somethin strong cause they didnt wanna move easily. i was thinkin maybe tool steel of some sort but it is a mystery steel for now. We just finished a 25000 ft well in PA. trippin out as i type. I've been on a couple rigs like that back when I was still offshore, years ago...

thanks roastbeef for the compliment.

Slag, the bourbon was for me.... hahahaa. everytime I fly back home, i take an extra suitcase to bootleg whiskey & food back to the land of mostly bland yankee food.

Oh Bearded One,

Where is Bland Yankee located? If it is near St. Louis I can help you consume that Bourbon.

Seriously, there are members from all over the world on this site. And there may be some near you.

Regards,

SLAG.

Im in southeast PA. i'm about 20 min away from Daswolf. I plan on contacting him after the holidays when i finally have a little free time. 

I did some work down in fetus ..... I mean FESTUS MO over the summer. if i would have had free time and thought about it, i would have gladly shared with ya.

Thanks Slag, i got a cousin out in lake of the ozarks that i need to go visit, i rekon i need to make a detour along the way to meet up and have a drink with ya.

Thanks Daswulf, I've seen alot of yer work on here and I am very impressed.  I'll shoot ya a message after the holidays when i get some free time. I appreciate the invite and look forward to meetin up with someone local with a wealth of knowledge. I gots lotsa learnin and brain pickin to do.