I Forge Iron

Getting started in Nova Scotia

Hoenirson

Hi all.

Mike H here.

A few minutes ago I called it a day, poured a beer and looked over my first Mikey 3/4" gas burner.IMG_3382.JPG

I have had a small water pressure tank cut out for several months, but finally got time to get back to this project.

Seeing that this forge inside dimensions after 2" Kao-wool added will be about 147 sq inches I am pretty sure this burner may be too big (maximum 340 sq in for the 3/4" burner apparently).

I am going to add 5" to the length of the forge to try and match the burner a bit better. (245 sq in.)

Anyone think that will be big enough for the 3/4" Mikey burner?IMG_3376.JPGIMG_3377.JPG

I have been wanting a forge for sometime. I have built a lot of SCA armor over the last 30 years, but always worked the metal cold.

My intent is to use the first forge for some chisels and gouges, a variety of medieval camping and kitchen implements, and the occasional knife and spearhead.

I have read every gas forge sticky I can find here and elsewhere, so I hope to keep the stupid questions to a minimum.

Anyways, beer is almost done, time to pull a second. Shoulders and neck are a bit sore = good day in shop.

Anyways, Mr Porter please accept my highest accolade for a great burner design.

Thank you.

Yeah, that's about 2x the burner for the volume but it will be a good test of your building skills if you can turn the PSI low enough it'll run properly. Going to find something better than a fire brick for a floor? Fire brick is a major heat sink , it takes a lot of fuel to heat it and keep it hot. Sure you'll have more than enough burner but the internal volume is the limiting factor, it'll make a lot more back pressure.

Bearing in mind a Porter burner is a lot more stable and forgiving of conditions than a T or Sidearm it may not have trouble in that size chamber at all.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty.

Thank you for the confirmation.

I will bring it to a 12" length, just to give it less back pressure. That is exactly what I was worried about.

Brick will sit on 2" kao-wool + castable refractory coating.

It is also my intention to have both ends with side hinges, with access port in front and pass through in the back.

I really do want this forge to stay small, but part of that is containing the flame as well. I get that this is probably just my first forge as I know how needs can grow based on a new toy.

If I may ask a second question, would it be worth tilting the burner back slightly towards the back door to try and heat the longer length more evenly?

Hi Neil.

Good to West coast is still kicking. Is it still raining there? We just saw our first bit of snow. Actually family is recently a transplant from BC and we will move back when we are done here.

In fact, I THINK the first time I got to hang out over a forge was at a Blacksmith demo, just down in Washington.

I did check out the MBA site, looks like they are pretty dormant right now with no events posted. I will drop them a line though inna bit. Just gotta get this forge going....Its been delayed for over a year with a move, then setting up the shop again. I have some enforced down time coming soon thanks to knee surgery, so maybe work will leave me alone long enough to finally be able to heat and beat some iron.

Even if I have to do it sitting down.

I am thinking winter will be my chance to build, so I have to make the most of it.

Any thoughts about this tiny forge and 3/4" burner? Do I have a hope or did I just build a bomb.

Lord knows that is what the guy at the hardware store thinks...har.

Seriously, am i gonna die? (grin)