I Forge Iron

Ok, here is a video going over a few points on why sharp edges are NOT important, or adequate.

If anyone else has other reasons, chime in and share them!

Link removed due to the request for money at the end of the video.

Littleblacksmith

He said that he had been working toward the modification on the anvil for several years. He specifically says this was the first time he had ground the edges of an anvil to give it the specific shape HE was looking for. He said he modified HIS anvil to do one specific job, ornamental ironwork.

He also suggests that you make an anvil block that fits into the hardie hole of the anvil. This will have the radiuses that you do not want to put on your anvil. His anvil block appears to be a 3 or 4 inch cube of metal with a hardie post.

If you are doing one specific job, ornamental ironwork, then follow his youtube video advice. It works for him.

After all it is YOUR anvil.

I know what im doing today I've got the perfect anvil for this modification because it has alot of chipped edges. I got this from my grandad and have been using and studying its edges for 2 years. I didn't do anything for a long time then hit the edges with 220 on a sander then after awhile of using it I tryed 80 on the edges which rounded them a little. Last spring i got after it with a hard grinding disk on my angle grinder and really rounded the chipped corners but stopped short of perfect. It just didn't feel right at the time to grind on it to hard but today its gettin nice radiused and polished edges

https://www.facebook.com/irondwarf3/photos/pb.398656613580713.-2207520000.1480249520./1079917822121252/?type=3 - https://www.facebook.com/irondwarf3/photos/pb.398656613580713.-2207520000.1480249520./1079917815454586/?type=3&theater - *************** hope these work and someone can post them properly for me, whilst the forum is not working for me I cant do it - ************* for those who feel the need for sharp edges to an anvil I made this hardy tool to fit one in the shop, it is about 3" by 4" by 2" and is from a fork lift fork, it can be used for straight sharp edges or radiused as you like, it can have holes drilled for rivet setting or divots for heading them, I can make them to order peg was forged to fit the hardy in a 5th foot anvil but can be made any size you want ( may need a little adjustment with a grinder ) have several larger pieces, peg was set into a recess drilled into the underside and welded so the weld is flush

Heres before and after grinding. The radiuses work great. I did put a little weld in the really low spots. I preheated it for 4 hours with 4 halogen lights then a weed burner to almost 200f. Then short welds to minimize the heat affect zone. Welding took less then 5 minutes. Ground it up and checked for rebound and delamination and alls good. I must have heat soaked it good with the lights because it was still warm 4 hours later.

20160124_160410.jpg

20161127_095243.jpg