I Forge Iron

Oxy - Acetylene Torch

I took my first welding class this weekend with my instructor for about 4 hours. We did about 2 hours of cutting and welding with the torch, and then about 1 and a half hour of arc welding. Other time used up cleaning, getting out stuff putting away, etc... He said to look around if I wanted to get a torch. One that costs between about $150-$250 should be a good kit. I found this one Blain's Farm and Fleet : Hobart® Med Duty Oxy - Acetylene Cut/Weld Kit Would it be a good kit??? Also, where do I get the oxygen and acetylene, forgot to ask him that in detail.

For the gas look up Air gas, or Air products. I dont know they merge every other week. try welding supply you can rent a bottle or buy them and swap them out. As far as torches go I was given a $100 harbour frieght set that seems to work. I am going to pick up an acetylene bottle and T bottle of N2 from a guy who no longer needs them. its a big bottle too. if you where close to FL I would give you the N2 bottle, it could probably swaped for a o2 bottle.

I would suggest you go to a welding supply store, the torch may cost a little more but they know the products. As far as tanks in my area it is a lot cheeper to buy then rent.
If you get every thing in one place and have ant trouble with the unit it will make life a lot easier.
Jeff

don't rent, buy unless there is no other option. Make sure the tanks you buy have a date on them that will be good to refill for at least a couple of years (ask the refill guy where the date is and how to read it properly). If you are a part time user the tanks may last you for quite a while. I got stuck with a big oxy tank almost brand new, but the time has run out so no one will fill it now. I will probably make a bell out of it. Genreally hobart is a good name so the torch should be good. I have found you will spend closer to $300 for tanks and torch, for a small hvac setup. Yours is probably bigger and will be more money. Go with the tanks that are about 3' tall, I can never remember if they are "c" tanks or what letter. they will last you quite a while unless you do a lot of burning. hope this helps, I am sure there are lots or more knowledgeable welders out there though.

If you have a Tractor Supply Co (TSC) store within reasonable driving range, check out their prices for buying and exchanging tanks (refills) at their stores. They are the best deal in the Northern Virginia area. They sell several sizes of tanks for Oxy/act as well as Mig welding.

M brothers.

It is my understanding that historically Hobart never made torches.

Hobart was bought out by Miller electric and Hobart is no their lower level welder line.

I would probably not buy a Hobart torch unless I can detirmine who is the manufacturer. If it is not a major manufacturer such as Harris, Smith or Victor and possibly one other whose name slips my mind. I would not buy it for fear I would get stuck with an orphan torch several years out in need of repair and no sourch for parts. (yes I have had several)

I can say with 90% certainty that the torch pictured is not one of the manufacturers I have listed. I wish I could see it in person but I can't based on my health.

TSC used to sell Harris, I don't know if they still do. They were a pretty good value. Airgas sells Harris and one other manufacturer under their own brand name.

I have serveral Harris sets and a little of Victor equipment.

If I was starting over I might select Smith as they have a lifetime warranty torch and the mixer is in the replacable tip.

StJohnBarleyCorn.

PLEASE DON'T CUT UP YOUR TANK!

Around here they can get requalified for $20-$30. Isn't a replacement tank nearly $300 for a big oxygen? My last new tank was $225

Airgas has never charged me for a requal even when I brought in tanks more than 5 years overdue.

I am certain that somebody can help you get a current tank.

don't rent, buy unless there is no other option. Make sure the tanks you buy have a date on them that will be good to refill for at least a couple of years (ask the refill guy where the date is and how to read it properly). If you are a part time user the tanks may last you for quite a while. I got stuck with a big oxy tank almost brand new, but the time has run out so no one will fill it now. I will probably make a bell out of it. Genreally hobart is a good name so the torch should be good. I have found you will spend closer to $300 for tanks and torch, for a small hvac setup. Yours is probably bigger and will be more money. Go with the tanks that are about 3' tall, I can never remember if they are "c" tanks or what letter. they will last you quite a while unless you do a lot of burning. hope this helps, I am sure there are lots or more knowledgeable welders out there though.

You can get the tanks re tested. They must be hydrostaticly tested every so many years, for scuba tanks it five. I dont know what for bigger bottles. That would be one really expensive bell.

thanks, I also think when i asked about it, there was something about that large size tank, about 5' that there was another problem refilling it, maybe trucking it myself. I will have to look into it again.

Check with Air Gas, I have a friend that works for them, in tallahassee, he says they dont worry about the hydro and all that, they swap the bottle out.
I have no affiliation with Airgas.
good luck.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a Sears oxy-acetylene rig (for that matter, any Sears anything). Harris makes (or used to, anyway) their O-A stuff, puts Sears's name on it. Harris makes truly fine equipment, has terrific tech support and repair. BUT, they won't touch a Sears torch or regulator unless it comes back to them via Sears and nobody at Sears, and I mean nobody, knows anything about O-A, or Harris, except one Sears liaison clerk the existence of whom nobody else in Sears has ever heard of. Go to your local O-A welding boutique (our motto: "We don't care if you live or die") and buy your name brand-- Harris, Victor, Smith, etc.)-- gear there. Get two-stage regulators. Shop around for bottles.

I do a ton of demolition cutting and heavy equipment repair. The torches and gauges I use are both Victor or Harris. There are many different size torches for different jobs, then there are many tips and heads ( rose buds, cutting, brazing and specailty tips ). So you need to think how much cutting, how thick is the stock being worked on because that will let you know what size torches gauges and tanks you will need. If you plan on using them alot then don,t cheap out, make sure to get 2 stage gauges. I lease my tanks for $125.00 for 3 years this allows me to switch out to what ever size tanks I need + plus if I switch to a job in witch I need to cut with propane or polypropane ( both of which I hate to use because they dont have the same heat as acetylene+ you need a special cutting tip). The other reason I lease my tanks is because in most parts of the country where I have worked most gas/air suppliers just swap tanks, so my nice shiney new argon and nitrogen tanks that I spent big bucks buying got swaped with tanks that have been used in a factory or rolled around in the back of some sevice truck or because of where I live they are from the shipyard.:mad:

I do not know why anybody would buy a new sears O/A set, as they are just as expensive as Harris or maybe even moreso.
You have to be careful buying from Sears has reulted in a lot of orphan tools as they switch from supplier to supplier.

However if you run across one that you know works I would be tempted to buy it for the right price. (15% for one in questionable condition to 50% of new price for one almost like new.)

Since I have so much Harris already I would buy a cheap Craftmen if I found one as back-up components. I replaced one of my Harris regulators when it went bad with a two stage Craftsman.
I bought for $5.00 and not the $40.00 to repair the Harris

As far as the issue of repairs, most LWS (local Welding Suppilier) send the equipmnet they recieve for repair to an independent repair shop and most them don't care whether it is Caraftsman or Harris

As far as 2-Stage vs 1-Stage I have found that single stage has not been an issue for me.

The only advantage that I am aware of for a 2 stage regulator is that if you use a substantial amount of gas from the tank in one usage, The 2 stage regulator will keep the gas supply pressure on its orginal set point. A single stage regualator's discharge pressure will droop as the tank pressure decreases. I would expect that most hobbiest blacksmiths will not use a 1/4 of a tank of gas in one operation, unless you have the very small tanks.

I have not spent additioanl money for a 2-Stage regualator but that was just my choice.

If I were burning for hours at a time I might have a different opinion.

I have a Victor Advantage II 250 set. I ordered a lesser set from HF and got the Victor. It is not listed on their site. Looking for it just now, I saw (on Hobart's board):

"The Advantage II kit is a private label kit sold to Sam's Club and is not on our website. It will be similar in product and service to the Firepower 250 series kit that can be found at Thermadyne Corporate home page and clicking on the Firepower logo, then the Literature tab, then Catalog, then Torches, Outfits and Accessories."

So, it looks like you can get one at Sam's Club. (Funny how I got one from HF)
I use it (mostly) in a CNC torch table. It has been holding up real well. I think it is a good set (especially for what I paid for it).

SJBC, you are in DE, check with Keen or G&E. I'm with G&E now. I don't pay rent (I brought bottles into the deal), but I do just exchange my bottles like I did.
Enjoy, MIKE

(FatherofFrogPond)

I use Smith but have used Harris and Victor and would be happy with any of the three. I agree with others who have said that you should check out a welders supply place. You will need to go there when you need gas or welding rods or whatever anyway. Usually when you give them business they give you advice which can be worth a lot more than the initial expense difference.

do not know why anybody would buy a new sears O/A set, as they are just as expensive as Harris or maybe even moreso.
You have to be careful buying from Sears has reulted in a lot of orphan tools as they switch from supplier to supplier.
The temptation lies in being able to do it over the phone out of a catalog is why, if you live out in the boonies as some of us do. Do not succumb is all I am saying.

The only advantage that I am aware of for a 2 stage regulator is that if you use a substantial amount of gas from the tank in one usage, The 2 stage regulator will keep the gas supply pressure on its orginal set point.

That's the whole idea.
Buying second hand oxy-acetylene equipment is a real gamble unless the vendor is somebody you know and trust who knows what she is doing with it and swears it works.

I've got an old Harris torch and regulator set, and love it. We go through Airgas for my bottles. The way it works around here is you take a long term lease (like 99 years, you more or less buy the bottles) on a set of bottles, and then pay a set fee to exchange them for a refilled bottle when they run out. We just added another acetylene bottle to the collection. We now have two of each (a smaller set that's handy outside and a larger set for dedicated in-the-shop use). Kinda nice that way so if one runs out in the middle of a project, there's no mad rush to the store to get a refill.

Without looking at the receipt I couldn't say what size the acetylene tank we just added was, but as far as price it was somewhere around 140 bucks. First fill complimentary. Not sure what a new Oxy costs.

-Aaron @ the SCF