I Forge Iron

Hi, My name is Zac

Ever since I took welding in highschool, and even before that, I've had a passion to learning blacksmithing. I've always wanted to learn and own my own forge. But I know there is a lot I need to learn. So I just want to put the word out there. I'm looking to apprentice under someone to really learn the trade and develop my own skill. I'm from Illinois pretty close to St. Louis, MO. If anyone has any hints or info to help me learn it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, Zac; welcome to IFI!

Couple of things.

First, thank you for putting your location in your profile. That will help people connect with you and give intelligent answers to questions affected by geography.

Second, one of the most important things you can do on IFI is to do your research before asking questions, and that means doing a LOT of reading. As folks like to say here, get a cold beverage and a supply of snacks and read EVERYTHING that catches your eye. It's rare that a question hasn't been answered before, and reading over the threads where people hash things out can be very illuminating.

Third, a word of warning: the folks on IFI include some of the crankiest curmudgeons you will ever meet. This is how to deal with them: (1) respect their experience, (2) respect their time, and (3) do your research (see above). If you ask an intelligent question that shows you've done your homework (and aren't just trying to get approval for some silly idea or aren't asking the same basic question they've already answered a thousand times), they will gladly share everything they know. Do not do these things, and prepare to meet their wrath. (Also, don't take the wrath too personally. Some of them just have short fuses but are still great folks.)

Fourth, a pro tip on doing your research. The search function for the forum software is sub-par, and you will do much better by doing a google search for what you want and including "iforgeiron" as one of your search terms. Trust me on this one.

Fifth (and this comes around to your question about apprenticeships), you will often find the answer you want (for example, this previous thread about apprenticeships), but that's not always the answer you really NEED. Think carefully about what you really want: do you want to serve an apprenticeship, or do you want to be a professional blacksmith? There are paths to the latter that do not include the former, and you need to be open to alternatives that might not fit your previous mental images.

Sixth (and this is not IFI-specific), find your local blacksmithing association or ABANA affiliate. They will help you with instruction and the like in your area.

So, welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome.

The main reason I want to take on an apprenticeship is to really get down the basics. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't an "official" apprenticeship. I'm mainly just looking for someone to show me the ropes. I do appreciate the advice though. I know I have B.A.M. and I.V.B.A in my area, but I don't know if there was anyone close by and none of the schools really offer what I want. Honestly, I wouldn't even mind traveling for it, it would probably do me some good.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. The local smithing organization doesn't offer what you want? What do you want to learn that doesn't include proficiency in basic blacksmithing?

I don't believe anybody offers blacksmithing apprenticeships in this country or maybe this hemisphere anymore. It's actually sort of a buzzword found in online games more than the real world. However if by travel you meant to England or the Continent you're golden, contact one of their guilds, maybe they'll accept a foreigner, I don't know. The one time I saw an apprenticeship offered it turned out to be a scam.

So tell us what you want to do. Be reasonably specific.

Frosty The Lucky.

I use the term "apprenticeship" loosely. mainly I looking for someone who's willing to show me the basics of blacksmithing. I realize it not really an active vocation these days.. However, the passion behind it is what intrigues me. What I want to know learn is technique. I'm one of those guys that learn by doing more than reading. 

Go to the local blacksmith group meetings. Spend a day with a note book and a couple of pencils. You will be exposed to more information than you can imagine, at all levels of skill and expertise.

Starting out can seem to be an impossible obstacle, but it is just a matter of digging a hole in the ground, getting something to hit on and something to hit with. Shovel or stick for the hole, pipe for the side blast forge, sledge hammer head for the anvil and a cheap 2 pound flea market hammer. If you have more than $20 in the whole thing, you stopped and bought lunch. Modeling clay ($5) can go a long way in your education of how metal moves.

As suggested above, pack a lunch and a cold drink and read the sections of the site that are of interest to you. Then read the rest of the site. Do not forget that you want to play in fire, so put the computer down and go outside and test out what you have read at the forge.

If you have questions, just tell us what you have done, how it turned out, and ask for assistance. That way we can start at your skill level instead of trying to explain everything you already know. Photos help a lot when asking questions, as we can see what you are doing.

2 hours ago, Grizzly_Havoc13 said:

I use the term "apprenticeship" loosely. 

Well, that's what we mean about asking specific questions! Folks around here see "apprenticeship", and we think you're asking about a traditional multi-year arrangement  of exchanging unpaid manual labor for trade instruction.

2 hours ago, Grizzly_Havoc13 said:

What I want to know learn is technique. I'm one of those guys that learn by doing more than reading. 

OK, now we are talking. In this case, Glenn's advice above is excellent, and I strongly recommend that you follow it. You could also pick up a lot of good information from this IFI thread: A collection of blacksmithing links on YouTube

I commend you for being aware of your own learning style. That is a very good thing to know about oneself. Nonetheless, I strongly encourage you to get better at learning by reading; the wealth of information that becomes available to you, both here and in other written media, is incredible.  Plus, it's good for the brain. 

I offer little for advice pertaining to apprenticeships and I'm also a complete beginner, but I've been blessed with the fact that I've had some equipment and some extra coin to acquire what I didn't already have. The best thing for me has been time spent hammering and watching other people. If you happen to have a museum nearby with a blacksmith shop make sure you go there and watch for a couple hours! Also make sure to wear your ppe meaning glasses, possibly an apron, clothing free of synthetics and a good pair of footwear that wont melt if you dump some slag on them.

Cheers,

Spencer

May I commend to your attention Frank Turley's Blacksmithing school in Santa Fe NM: http://www.turleyforge.com/

Also the ABS school in Texarkana AR----if you have the bladesmithing geas: http://www.americanbladesmith.com/

As for apprenticeship how much are you willing to pay?    Master classes 1 on 1 with folks expert in their crafts tend to not come cheap.  There once was a discussion by bladesmiths as many people wanted to trade their labour for the training and the consensus was that an unskilled "apprentice" should expect to "spend" 10 hours of unsupervised labour for every hour of 1 on 1 teaching---and most small shops didn't have that much grunt work available.  Learning as many skills ahead of time helps shift that balance.

You might check with the local SCA group Barony of Three Rivers is St Louis IIRC as some groups in the SCA have folks forging and willing to "share".   

But the fastest way up the learning curve would be something like Turley's school.