I Forge Iron

Where to buy ceramic fiber/kaowool

You can contact Wayne Coe. He sells small quantities of everything you'll need to build a propane forge for reasonable money except the shell. Search his name here and he'll pop up. He's a long time member here, I'd post a link but he sells stuff and it'd be a rule violation. His URL is in his sign off which isn't a rule infraction. Anyway, talk to Wayne he has everything you need including plans, videos, big happy smiling face. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 months later...

Hey all this is my first post.

I am building a gas forge based on the Koeller forge and I was having a hard time finding the ceramic fiber lining so after some searching I found superwool Ht (rated for 2400f) at a pottery supply store. 

it is 1" x 24" @ 3.00 a foot. To me this seems just as good as Kaowool if not better. 

If it is  8 lb. density, its a great  deal; if it's only 6 lb. density its still a good deal. The Superwool is rated at 2375 F of CONTINUOUS use, while the Kaowool is only rated for 2100 degree continuous use. The bottom line is that the Superwool will last a lot longer than the Kaowool in your forge. It is important  to keep up with newer products in the marketplace. Superwool used to be way more money than Kaowool, but everything changes over time; when; it does, what we choose to employ should change with it.

Welcome aboard Gdill, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

If you contact HVAC service and supply outfits you'll discover they use ceramic refractory blanket in boilers and furnaces. Code prevents them using drops they must use material fresh off the roll so they often have a dumpster collecting odds and ends of refractory blanket. A little schmoozing, maybe a box of donuts and you may never have to buy Kaowool or equivalent again in this life. 

I haven't purchased Kaowool in probably 25 years and I have garbage bags of the stuff on hand. I can't say what the rating available to you is but where I get it 1" 8lb. Kaowool is rated to 2,400f continuous and they'll order the 2,600f if you REALLY want it. The high rated stuff will cost you and you have to buy a roll but that's here.

Other than piddly details I agree with Mike. If you have to buy ceramic blanket refractory buy the best available, a couple bucks is small potatoes compared to attaining the target temp and fuel economy.

Frosty The Lucky.