I Forge Iron

My first tomahawk 1-1/8 4140 Rd

Scrap Rat, If you tried to post a picture of the tomahawk, it didn't work. Please try again, we'd love to see it.

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

....  Was 4140 used for them back in the day?

Thomas, I saw in another post you mention Schrodinger's cat. Myself, I'm fond of infinite monkey theory, so perhaps in some totally random smelting, out of the hundreds of thousands of them done since mankind moved from bronze to iron, there was one where the random mix of elements fortuitously resulted in a perfect 4140 formulation. Maybe some lucky centurion or viking back in the day had a 4140 sword or battle axe, hmmmm......probably not, but technically, not a zero probability. Have a nice day :D.

I think you did great. Even without grinding there's ways to forge a cleaner arc on the bottom. With the fullering on the neck of the poll it almost looks like you made it from a ball peen but I can see the pic where you used round stock and drifted the eye yourself. Good job. 

Did you do any heat treat to it?

I agree with Charles. I was going to make similar comments but am trying to keep my post length down...I tend to run on a bit. A few years ago I did research into colonial tools and looking at only period pieces, that is correct. The first tomahawks were simple trade axes made of a folded iron strap with no poll. Almost all the later ones I saw with polls were spikes and seem to be oriented as weapons. For bushcraft I think the hammer poll is really useful. Again, nice job. 

What I was lead to belive from my research is the spike was originally based on boarding axes, and more popular with the natives, wile the pouch or belt axe more popular with the long hunters and other colonial woods men (including those issued to troops) was less than a pound and had no hammer poll or spike. 

That in no way detracts from your work

Thanks guys! Charles, were they mostly wrap eye hawks?

39 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

That's the first muzzeloading tomahawk ive ever seen in flintlock. All of mine are percussion cap.

Ahhhh wise guy eh? Cant use percussion Tomahawks in PA! So this one obviously is a flintlock! A hawk finishes MUCH faster than a knife...