I Forge Iron

Hi from North Alabama

VandalEvil

Hi. I've been lurking here for a little while and decided to start a profile. I'm trying out some backyard blacksmithing, and have come here frequently for some tips and tricks to get started. I'm excited to get into blacksmithing.

Thanks for all the tips so far, hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute myself.

Pack a lunch and a cold drink and start reading the sections that interest you in the forum.

Find a fuel in your area that is cheap and build a forge to use that fuel. 

A solid fuel forge is just a hole in the ground raised to a convenient height, table top high for instance. Build a forge from loose bricks, mud, or what ever is available. Add an air pipe from the side (side blast forge) and start a fire with sticks, lumber, pallets, etc. Play in your new fire while you plan, plot, and scheme on how to build your second forge.

Welcome to the site enjoy your stay.

Welcome aboard, glad you delurked. If you've been lurking for a while you know how we're quick to recommend reading archived posts. You'll also know my reasoning, a little knowledge and jargon allows you to ask good questions and understand the answers. At least well enough to ask good questions to clarify the first bunch of answers.

There's nothing like a hard to answer question to provoke thought about WHY the heck do you do THAT? Often we just do things, some have been adaptations of adjustments we've taught ourselves without conscious thought. Someone asking about it can teach us more than the student. You'll REALLY start learning the craft when you start teaching someone else. Guaranteed. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I actually haven't come across a question yet that I haven't been able to find the answer to here somewhere. Though to be honest what I'm doing is way closer to "playing in fire" than "blacksmithing". 

Also I'd love to go out to the Athens meeting once I know a little more about what's going on.  Like, once I can make my fire right every time and have at least some basics. I've built (am building?) a brake drum forge, using anthracite from Tractor Supply, and I got some "welding steel" from Lowe's (I know, I know, welding steel, but no sense in me messing up some perfectly good metal). 

My only real obstacle as I see it right now is I don't have a specific project to work on. Not exactly forging Excalibur in my backyard this weekend. I'd really like to know what to make first to develop some skills. Even if it doesn't sound cool, like a gate hook, or whatever. 

That, and it's tricky learning anything from the Internet. There are plenty of not especially skilled people posting videos out there. And also plenty of those "harbor freight anvils are garbage, you'll never be able to do the upside-down-double-swinging-windmill-hammer-of-Thor technique with that". Or whatever other thing I clearly won't be doing for some time anyway ;)

Thanks again all. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

1 hour ago, VandalEvil said:

My only real obstacle as I see it right now is I don't have a specific project to work on. Not exactly forging Excalibur in my backyard this weekend. I'd really like to know what to make first to develop some skills. Even if it doesn't sound cool, like a gate hook, or whatever. 

Having a project to work on has been my major challenge.  What I learned was to just pick a project that was slightly complex and the work toward it.  I had some structural bolts I wanted to turn into a hot cut hardy tool.  I needed tongs to hold the bolt.  So I focused on making the tongs.  I ended up needing to dress my hammers, make a hot punch, make a coal rake and make a holdfast just to get through the tong making process.  I had to learn heat treating, drawing, upsetting and hammer control just to get there.

point being.....set a seemingly simple goal and you'll be amazed how complex it can become.  When people ask me what I make when I blacksmith I tell them I make the tools I need in order to make the tools I need.  The answer never pleases them but it's true.

One suggestion for starter projects would be wall hooks. You can really learn a lot, and use a very small amount of material, and have something to show your friends that know less than you! With a hook, you can learn to draw a taper, bend, twist, punch holes, and use different parts of the anvil. Take sometime and look around at all the hooks you can find on this site. Pick one, try it. The Athens Forge, has members of all different skill levels, the purpose is to learn from each other. Come to a meeting, introduce yourself, ask questions. 

Athens State University offers a one day intro class with PVF Al and Travis at Travis's shop in Athens.  It's a fantastic intro to the basics and if I recall correctly was only around $70 for the full day's class, all materials provided.  Look it up at the Athens State Center for Lifelong Learning.    There is a terrible side-effect, though, that you need to be aware of - you WILL be hooked after that class.  Hopelessly.  Endlessly.  Forever.